Complete New System or Repair the Old

Old 02-26-13, 10:21 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Complete New System or Repair the Old

I have a residental unit outside...2009 Arcoaire 3.5ton runs on R-22. The inside unit (air handler) needs to be replaced since the pan is leaking, and the system has leaks, as it is the original one from the house being built(date stamped 1988)

Here is my decision...do I replace the whole unit, inside and out with a system which runs on the new coolant, or do I just replace the air handler. I already have qutoes to do both, and the different is about $1000, but I don't want to be cheap now and it cost me down the road. I hate to replace the outside system, as it is not even 4 years old and working great. But the concerns with R-22 being phased out and getting more expensive worry me.

So, what is the RIGHT, while also being cost efficient, way to handle this? Is the R-22 thing being overblown and I should stay with my old system with a new air handler, or do I replace everything now.

Also, I was told if I do replace the WHOLE system, I could capture the R-22 in the old outside unit and then be able to possibly resell that unit to someone who can't afford a new one? Is that legal? Possible?

Thanks so much in advance!

Old 02-26-13, 11:35 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
If it is only $1,000 more to get everything replaced with new I would seriously consider doing so, even if you have to borrow the money. R-22 will only get more expensive as time goes on and it is already outrageously expensive. Repair costs and refrigerant would eat up that $1,000 savings (in not replacing) VERY quickly.

Yes, it IS possible to recover the existing R-22 and in fact the law requires it to be recovered. YOU cannot do the recovery since it requires a licensed refrigeration mechanic and equipment that costs several thousands of dollars. I suspect that the bid you received for system replacement has already figured a discount for the recovery of the R-22 although it probably is not itemized.

Also yes is the possibility of selling the R-22 condensing (outdoor) unit but I doubt that you could sell it for enough money to make it worthwhile since the refrigerant is being phased out. Probably best to just let the A/C company dispose of it for you.

Old 02-26-13, 11:44 AM
J
Could I not sell the whole outside unit to someone?

Old 02-26-13, 12:06 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
You can sell anything to anybody, all you have to do is find someone willing to buy. What I am trying to make clear is that your outside unit has little value because it is an R-22 unit. No one will want to install it except as a stop-gap to keep an old R-22 unit going another few years. Its value to that very small pool of buyers is only slightly more than the value of scrap metal it contains.

After the refrigeration technician removes the refrigerant and the contaminated (with refrigerant) oil you could go ahead and scrap the unit yourself. The coil is probably aluminum and worth a few dollars at the recyclers and maybe you can get fifty cents for the sheet metal casing. The compressor might be worth a couple of dollars as "dirty" steel. If the actual condensing coil is copper with aluminum fins it might be worth another dollar or two. Then again, it is also possible your replacement bid is based upon the A/C company scrapping the unit.

Old 02-26-13, 01:12 PM
T
For a grand it probably pays to go all new. As long as you got at least three estimates.

As far as your old unit is concerned. I would have a pro "pump it down'. Its an easy process and saves the freon inside the unit. Then place an ad on Craigslist and I bet you could get three or four hundred for it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: