Can I relocate my outside unit?

Old 03-07-13, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I relocate my outside unit?

Hello and greetings. I am planning on putting in a shed on the side of my house and unfortunately the last 4" of the shed ends where one of the two AC units are currently located. It's a 2 ton floor unit. I have no option with placement of the shed but I think I can move the unit slightly. So in looking over the unit I see it's studded to the concrete pad, although it's pretty loose as the studs were not well placed, so that can be redone. My concern is the steel cooling lines that go into the side of my house. Stucco walls. They are not flexible at all. I'm thinking I may have to have this done professionally. Thoughts

Old 03-07-13, 04:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,473 Votes on 1,361 Posts
Hello and greetings back

The lines connecting the condenser unit to the evaporator inside are copper. They do have a slight bit of give but they can also kink.

To move that unit...... you would have to have an HVAC company come and evacuate the freon from the system. Cut and extend the lines. Finally... recharge the system.

Not a terribly hard job but will cost a few dollars. Best way to get a quote is to call your heating/cooling company. If you don't have a company in mind ...... check with friends and family for a recommendation.

Old 03-07-13, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Awesome

Thanks. Yeah I kind of figured that might be what I have to do. I just so happen to have a friend in the biz. I'll hit him up while he's not to terribly busy. Thanks

Oh and lastly. When moving just how much gap should I maintain between the shed wall and the unit?

Old 03-07-13, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,473 Votes on 1,361 Posts
I would allow several feet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: