AC will run when forced, Stat doesnt show life

Old 04-08-13, 10:10 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC will run when forced, Stat doesnt show life

Let me start by apologizing for my lack of knowlege. Until I get home from work and can add some info (model number etc) most of this will be general.

Four days ago, I noticed that my AC blower fan was staying on constantly (even with the system off). I set the system to off, and left it before bed. When I woke up half-way through the night, it was still running. I double checked that it was set to AUTO and not ON, and that the system was off. I clicked it to ON and back to AUTO, and went back to bed. When I woke up the following morning, the blower was still running (not hot, not cold, just air). I flipped the breaker to the system OFF and left it for the weekend. When I came back on monday, I turned the breaker back on, and turned the thermostat back on. I got nothing. I then noticed that the LCD panel on the thermostat was not lit or showing anything at all. After about three flips of the breaker, the system will run for about 30-45 seconds, but the stat stays powerless.

My father-in-law tested most of the connections in the system outside and the transformer (?) in the box checked out OK. He said he could force the points (?) closed and the system would run (compressor and fan) but that nothing would stay on. There is never any power to the stat no matter what.

I am going to try a replacement stat he had lying around when I get home.

ANY thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Also, I bought the house last fall and have ran the AC and heat with success for both. I had the system serviced prior to purchase of the home and all of the levels etc were OK.

Old 04-08-13, 10:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,082 Upvotes on 3,665 Posts
A make and model number will be a big help.

I'm guessing just a basic air conditioning system..... no furnace or heat pump.

You need to check for 24 vac at the control board in the air handler.

Old 04-08-13, 10:20 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Youll have to help me a bit with the lingo (I'm clueless). I know it doesnt have a furnace. I do have heat strips.. whatever those are.

The transformer had 120 coming in and the appropriate 24 coming out.

Ill post the make and model when I get off.. Sorry.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: