replaced everything fan still won't shut off!

Old 04-09-13, 12:52 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
replaced everything fan still won't shut off!

My roommate and I have in the last 3 years replaced almost everything in this ac unit. This morning alone we replaced the thermostat and the outside contactor. Last summer we replaced the fan relay, inside and outside capacitor and the sequencers but the blower fan won't shut off. There is a similar thread about a gas furnace and that solution doesn't help us. It is too hot in SC and we don't have enough money to have someone come out to take a look at things we have already done. Her and I have been googling all day what the problem could be. When the thermostat gets to temp it will shut off the a/c but the fan still spins. Please if anyone has any advice we would be so grateful!

We have a coleman eb23b

Last edited by ashafree; 04-09-13 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-09-13, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,055 Upvotes on 3,638 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Sounds like you really got into the nitty gritty of your unit. You replaced a lot of parts that would not affect the blower.

You unit has what are called sequencers. They are used to control the electric heating elements and they also control the fan in heat mode. I'd imagine your problem is that one of the sequencers has a problem.

Here is what I want you to try. You said you already changed the fan relay so you know what it is. It has 6 wires on it. Turn off the power to the air handler first. Remove the blue wire which should be terminal # 5. Turn power back on and see if the fan still runs. Let me know and we'll go from there.

Below is the service manual for your unit. You're interested in page 16.
http://www.winfieldsupply.com/images...structions.pdf

Attached Images  
Old 04-11-13, 08:29 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I took the blue wire out and turned the unit on. Everything came on normally and when I shut the unit off from the thermostat the fan went off too. Does that mean the sequencer is shot? You have no idea how much this was bothering us. We went through the whole winter shutting it off manually or not using it at all but summer is too much. Thank you so much for your help!

Old 04-16-13, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,055 Upvotes on 3,638 Posts
Yes.....the sequencer is shot.

In it's normal state (off) the fan relay allows the heat (sequencer) to control the blower fan. When the AC activates the fan relay the fan runs at a higher speed.

The blue wire is the fan control that the sequencer supplies.

Good job. You've got a few good spare parts and you know what needs to be replaced now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: