Air conditioner condensate leaking.

Old 04-13-13, 09:18 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Air conditioner condensate leaking.

air conditioner condensate coil leaking on my floor. here some pictures and video. Can you tell me if coil clean will help ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyE4Hjq9lbw Name:  1.jpg
Views: 3506
Size:  45.5 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 3023
Size:  49.9 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 2774
Size:  36.8 KB

Attached Images  
Old 04-13-13, 10:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The condensation from the coils is supposed to drip into a pan and go into a hose or small diameter pipe, which takes it either outside or to a floor drain. If you are getting condensation on the floor I would bet that either the hose/pipe is plugged, or the pan is so dirty that it can't drain away.

Find and disconnect the condensate line (hose) and see if it's clear. Can you blow air through it, or is it plugged? Washing can never hurt. AC coils get dirty because the air passing through the wet coil carries airborne dirt. The dirtier your furnace filter is, the dirtier your coil will get.

Old 04-13-13, 11:29 AM
C
one more picture to show how condensate is leaking

I've uploaded one more picture where you can see how water(condensate) is leaking (direction) to floor (where air come through). BUT condensate must go to bottom of coil and then to pipe ( pipe is ok )

red arrows how water(condensate) is leaking on the floor..
blue arrows how water(condensate) must go to tube/pipe

Name:  water.jpg
Views: 5627
Size:  42.5 KB

Attached Images  
Old 04-13-13, 11:50 AM
Group Moderator
It's probably the dirt that is causing it to drip prematurely rather than follow the coils down. I'd wash it out.

Do you have multiple fan speeds, or just one?

Old 04-13-13, 12:02 PM
C
Thank you to quick response. I don't know if multiple speed. it's 10 years old Carrier unit 2.5 ton. I am worry to disconnect all connections to leak freon.. I want to remove coil and wash it (cleanup)

Old 04-13-13, 12:16 PM
Group Moderator
First, before attempting any cleaning, disconnect the unit from power, either at the switch or at the breaker.

You can try coil cleaning foam, which does not make much of a mess. Just follow the directions.

You could also put a baking pan under the slant coil and use a garden pump sprayer and some household cleaners, but you have to be sure to rinse well so as not to leave any chemical residue on the coil. Also if you use any type of bristle brush, be sure you don't bend the fins in any way. If you have any sheet metal you could also fashion something to direct any dripping water down toward the condensate pan while you clean, then remove it once you're done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: