Window or Portable AC delimna?

Old 04-20-13, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window or Portable AC delimna?

I've to chose between a portable AC or window AC: window ac - GE_AEW10AQ 10k BTU 10.2 EER or portable - Edgstar AP14001HS 14k BTU, EER 11.5. The area being cooled is 23'x11'. The portable also serves as a dehumidifier; not certain about the window AC. Both are barely used and identically priced.

Is there an advantage one over the other; what do you recommend and why? In advance thank you for your time and support.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-13, 12:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 11 Posts
The argument for a window unit...

The window unit will drain outside without your needing to empty a pan.

The portable AC unit should discharge the hot air somewhere.
This is great for office spaces with a common return air above the ceiling tiles.

For the portable AC unit...

A window unit sticking out of your window can be an eyesore and a security issue. Some homeowner's associations do not allow visible window units when viewed from the street.

Old 04-20-13, 03:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I agree. The portable ones I have installed on remodels (reluctantly, I might add) required a hot air exhaust, which usually wound up to be in a window opening, PLUS the condensate had to go somewhere. You're not talking a cup or two in the summer, either. So you either have to pump it with a condensate pump or drill a hole through the wall under the window where you set it. Then you lose the "portability" of it, and would be better off with a window unit that you can remove totally in the winter and close the window.

Old 04-20-13, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The portable I'm looking at has dual hoses (intake/exhaust) so there would be no need for drilling etc. My concern is the efficiency between the two.

Old 04-20-13, 05:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Whatcha gonna do with the condensate?

Old 04-20-13, 07:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
Some models mist the condensate out the exhaust hose. Not sure how well they work, just what I have read.

Old 04-20-13, 11:10 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
One of the great advantages of a dual-duct portable unit is that it sprays the condensate over the condenser which increases the overall efficiency of the unit and also evaporates almost all the condensate which is then carried outside with the exhaust air.

That said, the overall efficiency and performance of a window unit will almost always be better than the best of the portable units.