Question about carrier central a/c

Old 04-20-13, 12:41 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question about carrier central a/c

My system is 10 years old, and the External unit dan quit running. I bought a Dayton motor, which is the direct replacement for the GE motor. Same specs and dimensions, but it has 5 wires instead of 3, like the original. The capicitor is different, it is a 2 terminal instead of the original 3 terminal. The motor has an option to wire using 3 wires. I get all that. My question is the original capicaitor had 3 posts and the new one has 2. What do I do with the 3rd posts wire on the original capicitor? Also, shuld the fan be blowing external air thru the coils, or from the coils?

Old 04-20-13, 03:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,115 Upvotes on 3,695 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Can you leave a model number for the compressor unit ?

It almost sounds like that capacitor is a combination compressor/fan cap. With your model we can look it up.

Is there another much larger capacitor in that same area ?

Old 04-21-13, 11:37 AM
S
The extra blue wire from the third fitting on the capaicitor goes to the compressor. How do I wore it on a 2 terminal capaicitor? also, the compressor model number is H29B334ABCA

Old 04-21-13, 01:27 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
You MUST still use the 3 terminal cap for the compressor. The new cap is for the fan motor only. On the side of the motor should be a wiring diagram.

Old 04-21-13, 01:36 PM
S
ok, so do I run jumpers from the new dual capacitor to the old 3 terminal capictor so it is hooked up like oem? or can i run the extra blue wire from the compressor to one of the dual capitor terminals?

Old 04-21-13, 01:45 PM
what extra COMPRESSOR wire are you talking about? You have not done anything with the compressor.... correct? leave the compressor and old capacitor wired as they were minus removing the wire that went from the old capacitor to the old fan motor. Then follow this diagram....

Old 04-21-13, 01:53 PM
S
ok, the original capacitor had 2 3 wire terminal posts and 1 1 wire post coming off it. The new capacitor for the new motor only has 2 4 terminal posts coming off it, which I have wired exactly as your diagram shows. I removed the old capicitor from the system when I hooked up the new one. this left me with the third blue wire going to the compressor with nowhere to go. Are you saying I should take wires from the new capacitor and run them to the old capicitor so that I will have 2 capacitors in the system, one hooked directly to the motor and one hooked directly to motor and compressor? does this make sense the way I explained it?

Old 04-21-13, 02:39 PM
the original capacitor must also be used. It was a dual run capacitor which served both the compressor and the fan motor. The new capacitor is for the fan motor only and if you wired according to the diagram above then it is done correctly but you need to reinstall the old capacitor in order for the compressor to work. On the old capacitor is C, Herm, and Fan. C goes to the yellow side of the contactor and Blue goes to herm terminal.

Old 04-21-13, 02:42 PM
S
So in the end, I will have one capacitor wired into the motor, and a second capacitor wired into the compressor., the second capacitor (3 post factory) will just have the compressor wire on it along with a wire from com to the new capicitor, right?

Old 04-21-13, 02:47 PM
I edited my previous post.............................

Old 04-21-13, 03:45 PM
S
ok, thx, I will have to get an oem capacitor tomorrow for the compressor. I will let you know if it works

Old 04-21-13, 03:50 PM
if you have to buy a new capacitor then I would find out what rating the new fan capacitor is and then get a new dual capacitor that is sized correctly for both the compressor and the fan motor and wire as follows.

Colors are not specific to your unit nor is the capacitor rating shown.

Old 04-22-13, 05:41 PM
S
Thank you, this worked perfectly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: