Unit wont stop running.

Old 04-20-13, 02:49 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unit wont stop running.

Okay so a couple days ago my ac unit was making a loud squealing noise through the vents that sounded like a fan going out. Next thing I know it stops blowing air but the not is still running. My land lord calls a guy out who spends several hours on it. When I got home that night the unit was running, not blowing air in the house, and the thermostat was turned off. My land lord says his guy said it was wired wrong and that he retired it. Through this forum I found out that the blower fan was the problem. I cracked it open and found the bracket that mounts the motor for the blower fan broke. 2.99 later and a new bracket, like magic I'm blowing cold air. My problem is the unit still runs with the thermostat off. The only way to shut it off is with the breaker. Can someone tell me how to reverse the wiring job this idiot did so I can control my unit with the thermostat again? My unit is an Intertherm. Unfortunately there are no other markings for the model number. Any advice would help. Thanks.

Old 04-21-13, 12:00 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm not familiar with your unit but have you had a look at the thermostat at all? There is a good chance it will be shorted out there. If not you can follow where the wires go in the unit. It might also not be the stat thats been bodged, it could be a pressure switch, contactor etc that has been bypassed. The guy who done the bodge job should have known better, disconnetcing the fan and leaving the unit to run would have eventually turned it into a huge block of ice! Hopefully someone with more knowledge of these units will be along shortly.

Old 04-21-13, 01:25 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Pictures may help since you don't have a model number.

Old 04-21-13, 05:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,111 Upvotes on 3,692 Posts
If the guy your landlord hired changed the wiring......you should have him come back and fix his mistake.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: