Lennox Air Conditioning system 2008 losing freon

Old 04-23-13, 02:33 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/C residential unit is losing freon - any ideas?

Hello, We have a Lennox A/C system 2008. We are told it is a self contained system. Today they had to add 2 pounds of freon when they came out for the annual service. The cost of only adding the freon without the service charge cost $370. When I asked the tech he told me it was $370 regardless of how much freon he had to add to my system.

The guy added the freon and said we have a leak in the system somewhere. To preform a leak check he said it would cost $1200 to $1400.

Please can anyone help me understand how we lost 2 pounds of freon, and where a leak might be? Does a leak check normally cost so much? Are there things we can check before having a leak check done?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-13, 03:15 PM
What type of refrigerant are we talking about? Freon is a loose term. Call another company... You have been swindled regardless of the answer to my last question. A leak search should run no more than $300 on the very high side of things. Prices will vary by area and contractor though. The refrigerant cost seems high as well, but I don't know what type you have. Again prices vary.... A refrigeration system is a sealed circuit. The only way you have lost refrigerant is if there is a leak. A large leak will leave oil residue. Regardless if you find the leak on your own it must be repaired by an EPA certified repair person. First thing I would do is call another company and have them check the charge and see if it is overcharged. Make sure your the filter is clean and both coils are clean before the check. Call around and get prices from other contractors on a leak search.

Old 04-25-13, 12:25 PM
The freon is 410-A.

This is the system that I own -

Lennox Elite seer 16
Condenser XC16-060
Evaporator Coil CC60044-210R
Furnace/AHU G60UHV-60C-090

Freon 410-A
Tons: five
10 years parts warranty
1 year labor
20 year heat exchanger
10 year compressor
10 year cond. Coil
10 year evap. coil

In the notes:

add 1 return in bedroom 14X20 filter grill
7000 Series T-state comfort system
1-pure air filter

Old 04-25-13, 03:47 PM
Call another contractor. If a leak is found part of the repair should be covered by warranty.