Sandy damaged unit outside - HELP

Old 04-29-13, 07:06 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sandy damaged unit outside - HELP

Hi everyone
Just found this forum and it was full of great information, however didn't find anything like my situation or close, so I'm starting a new thread. Sorry if this is an already covered topic.

My AC unit outside was flooded during Sandy. I have been told by neighbors and the pros in the area that all units need to be replaced. I haven't turned it on since last summer so I don't know what would happen if I did.

We currently don't have $3k+ to replace it and with a 3month old here and the summer coming I am inclined to do whatever work is necessary to replace/repair the unit. BTW is a Ruud unit about 6 years old (we've been here for 4years but knew the previous owner).

Anyone willing to walk with me on this I would truly appreciate it. I know is not an easy process, but I hope I can replace it or manage to get AC back one way or another. I am a fairly experienced DIYer...

I'll be looking for your input.... Thank you all

Old 04-29-13, 07:49 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Although I'm not a pro in this area, I have a hard time swallowing replacing a unit that is designed to be outside, simply because it got wet.
How much water did this unit see and how long was it sitting in it?

I'm not sure what the cost (and availability) of having someone come and inspect it, but it may be worth an inspection.
Be very clear with who ever you get to inspect (if you go that route) that you are not going to replace it. This will cut out the sales pitch and hopefully get you a proper attempt to inspect and repair as needed.

Old 04-29-13, 03:58 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Does it run? Have you tried to use it?

Old 04-29-13, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the water got above the condenser fan motor its windings could have been soaked; had to dry out...

The contactor coil might or might not be okay.

The condenser coils can be washed clean.

I've got condensers' back working that were nearly totally wrecked.

Why state they must all be replaced without inspecting & testing them; if some of the lesser expensive components fail they can be easily replaced.

Like the moderator Northern Mike stated; tell the tech you're NOT going to replace the condenser.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: