Charged for AC Techs Best Guess Quantity R22

Old 04-30-13, 09:51 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Charged for AC Techs Best Guess Quantity R22

Is it common or legitimate for an AC tech to drag a bottle of freon out of the truck, fill a couple of AC's, then tell me one needed 2 lbs another needed 4 lbs without ever weighing the bottle?

In my area they charge from $65 to $90 per pound depending on the company, so if he is off a little, there goes date night. I wasn't comfortable with his best guess, but he confidently assured me that he had the experience to know how much went in to each unit. One was 2 ton one was 4 ton. He also mentioned that he could tell from what the gauges were reading even after admitting that he could not know the specs for every brand of AC "but they are all close to the same spec".

Old 04-30-13, 10:06 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,287 Upvotes on 1,225 Posts
The refrigerant is not supposed to leak out, what did he say about the idea that you needed some in the first place?

Old 04-30-13, 10:17 AM
At those prices, to be fair to the customer, it would be wise to weigh the amount used for each unit.

R-22 is experiencing ridiculously inflated prices.
There are R-22 substitutes that work with the same oil; not sure they can be mixed...solutions are needed.

Old 04-30-13, 11:34 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I may be mistaken but I think there are charging devices that measure the refrigerant in terms of weight without actually weighing the cylinder. If the technician was using one of these devices then weighing of the cylinder is unnecessary. If simply feeding from the cylinder through the manifold gauges into the system then he did NOT measure the amount of refrigerant added and in my opinion should not make a charge based upon quantity of refrigerant added.

Old 04-30-13, 11:59 AM
I
There is a history of a slow leak. No icing occurred this time, but decided to get them checked after 2 years.

Old 04-30-13, 12:03 PM
I
No charging devices were used to measure. A 30lb bottle R22 was connected to the center hose of the manifold gauges and the low pressure went up to some point that the tech felt comfortable with.

Old 04-30-13, 11:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,148 Upvotes on 3,725 Posts
...............and the freon continues to leak out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: