AC blowing fuse on restart.

Old 05-02-13, 10:23 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation AC blowing fuse on restart.

I have a goodman CK36-10. The compressor wasn't turning on lot of times. I was told that I need a hard start kit. In shopping for one, I somehow decided to replace the run cap. The AC worked great for a few days. Now it blows the fuse on restart. I would turn on the AC with a new fuse it would run fine the temp come down the compressor shuts off. Now sometimes when it tries to turn back on it will blow the fuse. I have measure the AMP with Klein Tools CL200(it doesn't give a MAX AMP). I have measure it at start up and I really don't see a spike. The lights in the house don't dim anymore when the ac starts. The compressor and fan runs at 12 to 15 amps.

More related info:
Hard start kit coming in a few days, heck i am willing to try anything.

Compressor lists 40 AMP fuse, 30 AMP fuse was installed by whoever installed the system years ago. 50 AMP breaker in the main house panel. I dont' think this is the issue, ac running at max 15 AMPs that I can measure. It ran for years with 30 AMP fuse.

I have seen a few times where the fan on the compressor turns on but the compressor won't turn on until a little later. I was able to measure the start AMP once when this happened. It was the same as all the other time i measure it, around 15 at start and slowly dropping to around 12.

Please HELP!

Old 05-03-13, 01:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,154 Upvotes on 3,730 Posts
I somehow decided to replace the run cap
Sounds like it may need to be changed again. Did you put the correct one in ?

When your compressor starts up it should almost peg your amprobe. The compressor is a dead short on start up and the current should be very high for a second of two.

It sounds like your compressor is being shut down on thermal overload...... since you mention that sometimes the fan is running and the compressor is not.

Old 05-03-13, 04:36 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Call a contractor & be sure he checks everything properly.

He will Cut all the power to the condenser, check all the various electrical components including contactor points, & all the conductors including those on the compressor terminals, they may have developed resistance & got too hot so lost their conductivity.

It may need a starting kit with a properly sized start cap & rated potential relay.

The "time-delay" 30-amp fuse that worked for years ought to continue to work, & will better protect the motors than a 40-amp.

Old 05-04-13, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I agree that you should replace the capacitor at the same time that you add a hard start kit.
It is common for folks to install a hard start kit without replacing the capacitor when the compressor has difficulty starting.
The problem in not replacing the cap is that in addition to help start the compressor it continuously passes current to the start winding increasing the compressor motor's efficiency and reducing the running amperage.

Adding a hard start kit to a unit with a bad capacitor will in most cases allow the compressor to run but can damage the motor windings from overheating.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: