AC Condenser Unit works but no air coming from vent

Old 05-02-13, 10:37 PM
AC Condenser Unit works but no air coming from vent

It has been a hot day and when I came home, I turned on the AC (first time in 6 months). It worked for about 30 minutes and cooled the house down. All the sudden, the air stopped coming from the vents.

I went outside, the unit was still working and fan still spinning.

I have been researching and some of the suggestions:

-overflow pan
-frozen coils
-dirty filters
-blown fuses

I checked the fuse for the AC already. It is not the fuse from the AC, because AC is still humming and fan still spinning.

Not overflow pan because I did not see any water leaks.

I changed the filters.

Still no air so far. Not even when I switched over to heat.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-13, 11:22 PM
So did you check the coil for ice? That is the next on your list. It IS possible that you have a refrigerant leak and have lost enough that the coil did indeed freeze over. Either that or maybe the fan in the furnace/air handler isn't running. Have you checked that?

Old 05-03-13, 12:03 AM
Hi Furd,

No, I have not checked either because maybe you can help me locate it.

Where is the coil that might freeze over? Inside or outside? Plus, it has been 5 hours and I just tried to turn on the AC again. Still nothing. So, I am not sure if it is a freeze problem.

How can I check if the fan in the furnace isn't running? But yes, usually, I hear the furnace operating but today, I it is silent.

Old 05-03-13, 12:45 AM
Group Moderator
You haven't given us a make or model for your furnace/air handler so we can't tell you exactly where the blower fan is. There should be removable access panels on your unit to locate the fan.

You should be able to activate the blower fan at the thermostat by turning it to FAN ON.

If this is a furnace too is the furnace working ?

Old 05-03-13, 12:54 AM
Make and Model:
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ai...61aj048-b.html
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ai...ard-start.html
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ai...g-top-box.html

blower fan is not coming on even when I turn FAN ON. Furnace meaning the Heater? No, the furnace also stopped working too. He started sometime a few months ago but as I shared earlier, it worked for about 30 minutes today and then no more air from vent.

Old 05-03-13, 01:10 AM
Group Moderator
Great idea including the past threads.

In looking at your furnace I see two access covers. The top one has louvers and covers the burner area. The bottom cover is where the blower is. You may have to lift up remove the top cover to remover the bottom cover.

Turn off service switch for furnace. The blower is a drum shaped blower wheel. See if you can spin it by hand.

Old 05-03-13, 01:17 AM
thanks PJmax. Ok, I know how to take both covers off and do it all the time when I change the filters.

Other than changing the filter, I have not mess around with anything else except every other summer, I pull back the top side panel to clean the evaporator coils.

One more thing. Earlier when I tried to turn it back on, the Condenser Unit seems to work because I see the fan spinning and hear the motor compressing. The furnace area did not work but when I turned it off, I did hear a hum a little bit before it went complete silence.

I will be right back. Let me see if I can spin it.

Old 05-03-13, 01:25 AM
ok, there is actually an outer shell and I was trying to spin that which did not do much. hahaha. I reached inside and located a wheel and spinned that. That spinned fine.

I decided to just turn on the AC again, still no movement after I fake-press the close panel on the furnace. I did see an red LED light come on near a switch called "blower".

Old 05-03-13, 01:34 AM
Group Moderator
In testing the blower.....put the thermostat in FAN ON. Don't put in AC or the coil could ice up from no air flow.

Ok.... your motor spins freely. You just had it powered..... see if the actual motor is warm. If not then you'll have to break out the voltmeter to check voltage to it.

Old 05-03-13, 01:42 AM
You live in NJ and it about 4am right now. Sorry to take up your time. I am about to turn into bed.

This will be my last post until tomorrow PJmax. Just thought I let you know since you have been so helpful and you don't wait for my reply.

In response to your previous post, I assume the motor is located in the same area too. As shared earlier, I do think there is electricity running into it since I see the LED turned on.

Bottom line is, would it be common for the blower to fail? Could there be anything else at this point? This is the first time that it does not blow air. In the past, it would not blow cold air but there were still air.

I did one trick to my AC Condenser Unit that saved it for years is installing a hard start kit.

The furnace and AC is about 20 years old. Not sure if it is time to replace it.

Thanks PJ. If you could reply, I will reply first thing in the morning.

Old 05-03-13, 02:04 AM
Group Moderator
No....it's about 5 AM

On a 20 year old unit it would be very possible to require a new blower motor.
The motor has a long shaft and the blower wheel is attached to it.

Old 05-03-13, 04:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd be checking the capacitor on the blower motor.
If it hums but will not run most likly that's what wrong.
It gives the motor a kick in the butt to get it turning.

Old 05-03-13, 05:05 AM
Blower relay may not be working; if PSC motor, capacitor could be bad.
Well, if motor hums, the relay is probably good; didn't read prior post...

Old 05-03-13, 06:45 PM
OK, here is the latest.

I decided to unplug the furnace and replug it to the bottom plug. There is now movement but air is beginning to come out of the vent but very very low. I hear something moving from the furnace now whereas I did not hear a thing last night.

I have changed the capacitor and relay switch for the condenser unit. The blower has it too?

Old 05-03-13, 07:04 PM
An earlier question:

Where is the coil that might freeze over? Inside or outside? Plus, it has been 5 hours and I just tried to turn on the AC again. Still nothing. So, I am not sure if it is a freeze problem.

Old 05-03-13, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
I've marked approx position of coil. Usually it's called an A coil because it looks like an A. The white drain line on your unit is where the condensate would drain from the coil.

Even if it was a freeze problem you would hear the blower operating in the air handler.

Attached Images  
Old 05-13-13, 08:36 PM
Ok, today I decided to clean the coil like above.

FIRST question: PJMax, I can only get to it on one side, like how you marked in the above picture.

After cleaning the coils, it was still not working.

I decided to take the blower out and clean that too. I did not realize that the blower also has a capacitor.

SECOND question: as some of you mentioned above, the problem could probably be the capacitor. The motor is still warm. I just ordered a new capacitor. At this point, since the motor is still warm, does that means that the motor has not been damaged?

As I was removing the blower, I pulled out some of the wires thinking that it was in one set. Unfortunately, I can't remember if the red wire goes in 4th or 5th slot in the first picture. I decide to put it back in the 4th slot because I remember that was where it goes. The white wire goes in the 1st slot and the black wire goes in the 2nd slot.

THIRD question: can you help by looking at both pictures?

Attached Images   
Old 05-13-13, 08:54 PM
Group Moderator
I only pointed out the coil because you wanted to check it for freezing.

Does the blower spin freely ?
It looks to be caked in dust which is not a good sign.
Unfortunately just because the motor is warm does not mean it's ok.

Replacing the cap at this point is a good thing to try.

Old 05-13-13, 09:28 PM
Actually, what you pointed out about the coils is good. My question #1 was: do I just need to clean the side that is exposing to me? Or do I need to take the entire thing out?

Yes, blower spin freely. I cleaned the blower already.

I am replacing the capacitor. Can you help with question #3 in my previous post?

Thanks

Old 05-13-13, 10:07 PM
Group Moderator
I doubt you can take the coil out.....it's soldered to copper lines. The air blows from the bottom up thru the coil.......so the bottom of the coil (inside the A) is where you would see most of the dust and dirt.

It looks like in that plug that white and black can only go in one place. The other plug is a speed select. Looks like you could put it on the red, blue or yellow location.

Yellow = Medium, Blue = Medium Low, Red = Low

It'll probably go on the yellow or blue terminal

Old 05-13-13, 10:38 PM
Thanks

I ordered the capacitor so now we wait.

Will update you in a few days.

Did not know that the blower has capacitor too. I thought only the condenser unit.

Old 05-13-13, 10:40 PM
Group Moderator
Most motors use a capacitor for starting.

Old 05-14-13, 11:09 AM
PJMax,

You meant:

Yellow=High
Blue=Medium
Red=Low

Right?

You had Yellow and Blue = Medium in your previous post.

I believe currently it is in the red wire is in the blue slot.

Thanks

Old 05-14-13, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
No.....it's as I posted it. There are three wires going to your blower motor. The white is neutral. The black is high speed and is not changeable and the red wire which gets connected to the desired speed.

So most likely black is for the AC and the selected speed is for the heat.

Old 05-19-13, 11:05 AM
Turns out to be the capacitor. All resolved and happy. $16 fix. Minus the $60 for a technician to come out and tell me that the blower is burned out.

Thanks PJMax for helping me take this apart.

Thanks JoeCaption and HVAC RETIRED for mentioning the capacitor.

Thanks for all the dedication to everyone else.

Old 05-19-13, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
Glad it all worked out for you

Old 05-24-13, 01:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yesterday, I start my A/c. But after some time i saw water leakage form the front side and water is spreader over the floor. What is problem and how it can be fixed.

Old 05-24-13, 01:13 AM
I had this problem before.

Basically, a piece of paper blocked the drain hole on the water pan that leads to the water pump. In result, it flooded the pan and leaked out the furnace.

If this sounds like the same, unplug the furnace and open the area of the evaporator coils. Check for the pan.

That is a possibility or your water pump need to be looked at.

Old 05-24-13, 08:52 PM
Also PJMax, is it possible to connect a hard start kit for the blower capacitor?

Old 05-24-13, 09:42 PM
Group Moderator
I've never done it nor heard of it being done.

A hard start kit can be used on an older or tired compressor as it needs a lot of help starting under load.

In my opinion....the blower motor doesn't have that same type of start up load so I don't see it being needed or helpful.

Old 05-24-13, 10:24 PM
Ok, thanks PJMax.

I put one on my condensor unit's capacitor a few years ago and it works wonder.