Please tell me if I can do this myself

Old 05-04-13, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please tell me if I can do this myself

It's Florida, on the weekend. My AC is not running correctly. The air handler inside is blowing but the outside unit is not functioning. I went outside and could hear the motor trying to start - it sounds like a 3 second hum that then stops - cycling every few minutes. I touched to motor and it is hot.

Is this likely the motor and can I fix this myself?

The motor is a Regal-Benoit 5KCP39DF AB18CS - 1/6HP - 208v-230v - rpm810

Thanks,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-13, 02:33 PM
Also, will a replacement motor be available at a home improvement store or are they only available via commercial dealers?

Old 05-04-13, 02:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Not an AC pro, but it sounds like a bad start capacitor. Check it for leakage or if the shell is deformed. Do not continue to try and run the AC until you check it out and / or replace it. You could cook the motor(s) and run up a big bill.

Old 05-04-13, 02:37 PM
Thanks. No leakage or deformity. The motor just feels very hot.

Old 05-04-13, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
And no...you won't find it at a home center....possibly a full service hardware store like True Value or Ace...but doubtful. Grainger would be another option. I know some places have very limited hours on Sundays...all depends on your area.

Old 05-04-13, 03:56 PM
Any thoughts on if I have diagnosed the issue correctly? I hear a 3 second errr noise that cycles every few minutes. The motor is HOT. No leakage/deformity.

Is this a simple pop out and swap or should I hire someone?

Old 05-04-13, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
Your exact motor is probably a GE motor. I didn't find the exact part but there are replacements available for it. There may be some modification to the new motor required like shaft shortening.

There is a part inside the unit called a capacitor. Usually they are silver in color with quick connect terminals. You may have one or a larger and smaller one. It would be the smaller one or combined with the single one. That is the part you need to confirm for distortion.

The link below shows a representative assortment. You would need to contact a company like this with your make and model of your unit. You may also have a local parts place in your area. You could find them in the local yellow pages. looks like a new motor for your unit will be in the 125.00 area.
Motors - Condenser

I did also find a used one on ebay.
GE Condenser Fan Blower Motor 200 240 Volt 1 8HP 840rpm 5KCP39DF R514AS | eBay

Old 05-05-13, 02:29 PM
We all but confirmed it is the motor today. We turned the AC on and spun the outside fan with a long screw driver. The fan LIMPS along, just barely keeping speed at about 100 RPM. So, it has power but is bad most likely. I'll try to call an AC company / descirbe / supply fan model / get quote to keep the job cost low.

Or perhaps DIY... Don't know yet...

Old 05-05-13, 02:33 PM
PJmax, thank you for the quality response. I also saw that motor but as this is my first experience with this motor, I'll call the manufacturer - Regal Benoit (whose parent is GE) to find an exact replacement.

Old 01-25-14, 05:18 PM
Sorry for the loooooong delay. Goldstar was right. It was a bad capacitor. Thought I would tie up this thread rather than add to the misdirection in the internet universe.