Inverter air conditioner questions

Old 05-12-13, 10:11 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Inverter air conditioner questions

I saw this really neat wall-mounted air conditioner unit at Home Depot that I am now interested in buying and wanted to get some opinions. They are called inverter air conditioners. I am thinking of putting this in a room we have created from unused attic space. Any downsides to mounting it here? And do you need to mount these wall-mounted units on a wall that borders an outside wall?

Old 05-12-13, 11:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,106 Upvotes on 3,687 Posts
Technically they are called split systems or mini splits or ductless. The inverter part just means that some of the systems adjust the compressor speed according to load.

Being at HD you were probably looking at the Mitsubishi system.

I was just looking at the Panasonic version.......they claim to save 50% in energy costs. It must be some kind of miracle because that's an awful lot of energy savings.

The split systems are very effective. Keep in mind that what you saw hanging on the display wall is only half of the system. There is an outside unit that needs to get installed fairly close and connected to the inside unit.

Old 05-13-13, 06:24 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Google Mini Split.
I have one I installed 3 or 4 years ago to heat and cool an 800 sq. ft. house.
Works great and as advertized.
I for sure would never buy one from a box store!
I bought mine from the HVAC company I deal with all the time so I know I can get it fixed if need be.
Very simple to install, I installed the whole thing except connecting up the line set.
Larger ones can be zoned out to cool several rooms.
LG has one that has a flat face plate so a picture can be set over it so it does not look like a motel room HVAC.
Most new appliances have a chart on the box it comes in that shows how energy efficient it is, my was all the way to the right stating it was the most efficient.
It only needed a 12-2 wire and a double 20 amp. breaker.

Old 05-15-13, 06:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
They are fantastic when they work. When they don't, they are a real bear to repair.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: