YORK H1RA042S06D Home AC Issues

Old 05-13-13, 09:39 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
YORK H1RA042S06D Home AC Issues

Hello! I am new to this forum and I LOVE IT! I am a DIYer at heart. My problem is with My York H1RA042S06D Home AC unit. The unit turns on perfectly fine, but the fan didnt work. So I thought it was the Dual Run Capacitor. So I swapped that out ($20 part) and it started up fine, fan and all. Waited a bit till it cycled (off then on) then the fan didnt start again. I know it can't be the capacitor so I looked at the wires and noticed a THIN green wire that wasn't connected that goes from the unit to the side of my home. I also noticed that the thick wire loom holding the red, white and this thin green wire was pulled down...probably jarring loose this thin green wire. I have attached a pic so I can show you what wire I am talking about.

Any help will be appreciated. It will be 95 degrees today (Mothers day gift was to fix it...LOL)

Attached Images  
Old 05-13-13, 10:17 AM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
Looks like t-stat wire. The red and white is attached to the contactor, no need for the third wire.

Old 05-13-13, 10:25 AM
G
Thanks for your reply!

Do you happen to have a guess why the fan wouldn't turn on? I have changed with a new dual run cap, and it turned on once. Then never again after I turned it off then on again. I can still push start the fan and it runs fine.

Please let me know what else I can check.

Old 05-13-13, 01:01 PM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
If you can push start it, that still points to the cap. Did you replace it with the correct value? There is a chance you got a defective part too. Does the fan motor spin freely by hand?

Old 05-13-13, 04:32 PM
Since it's a PSC motor it has a run & a start winding, a stator & a magnetic rotor; therefore, there could be a problem in the other components.

Did the motor get hot?

The capacitor can be tested; but they can hold a charge long after power is disconnected (if no bleed resistors), so when disconnected; short across the terminals to discharge them.

A START-capacitor should be within +/- 10% of the required capacitance rating; 'RUN-Capacitors' should be within a tested 5% of the required rating, but never Lower.

I always bought 440-Volt capacitors; more insulation than 370-volt. Always BUY the PROPER EXACT RATINGS...!

Last edited by HVAC RETIRED; 05-13-13 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-13-13, 04:37 PM
G
tomf63...funny you should ask. What first prompted me was that the air wasn't blowing cold. So I went outside to check the AC unit. The unit was on (buzzing), but the fan wasn't. FIRST, I turned off the AC unit, then I tried to spin it and it was actually stuck. I actually got it to free up and it spun.

Then I went back in the house to turn on the AC, but the fan wouldn't turn on it's own. It would turn when I push started it (spinning it). This is what prompted me here.

Old 05-13-13, 04:41 PM
G
HVAC Retired....I am assuming that the Fan Motor got hot because when I first turned the AC unit on, it was probably a good 5 minutes until I realized no cold air. That is when I went outside to check on the AC Unit. Come to find a STUCK fan motor. I went back in and turned off the AC unit, then went back outside and freed up the fan. Went back inside, turned on the AC, but the fan still wouldnt come on. That is when I pushed started the fan, and everything worked fine. I would have to push start the fan to get it to spin. Could the fan motor blow, but still work when pushed?

Old 05-13-13, 04:52 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Replace the motor and the capacitor. Make sure the new cap is correct for the new motor.

Old 05-14-13, 10:19 AM
G
I am purchasing a new motor today.

Have you seen this happen?...I watched the fan as I turned on the AC via the thermostat and when the AC turns on I can see the fan move a bit (1 inch or two) and try to start, but not enough kick. I am assuming that the motor is burnt out allowing it not to kick start.

Old 05-19-13, 12:12 PM
G
Fixed it. I replaced it with an aftermarket blower motor and works like a charm! Thanks to all.

Old 05-19-13, 01:11 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the update......................

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: