Swamp cooler leak by main line in basement

Old 05-16-13, 11:07 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Swamp cooler leak by main line in basement

Hello,

In the basement I have the little copper pipe connected to the main line. When I turn on the copper line it flows to the swamp cooler, BUT it leaks ( just a drip drip) constantly and never stops about a foot from where the water starts flowing. Its at a point in the copper line where there are some bolts, but they are tight as can be.

Also, there is a little copper pipe that goes off of it like a fork in the road, and if i open that one up water flows out of that very fast. If I have that open the leak stops, but if i close it to stop the water flow it starts to leak again.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-13, 11:27 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Best idea is to post a picture of what you have.

Old 05-16-13, 11:35 AM
H
this might actually be a stupid question. i have never had a swamp cooler before thats why....

the litlte copper pipe flowing water to the swamp cooler....do i turn that off when the swamp cooler is full? Is it leaking because the swamp cooler is flow and the water has no where to go?

i thought that the swamp cooler evaporates water and will need to be filled often.

Old 05-16-13, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
No...you don't turn it off. There is a float assy in the cooler that allows the amount of water in as needed.

Need a pic...but it sounds like either you have a pinhole leak in the line...or possibly someone used a self piercing saddle valve (Google it) that is leaking.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 05-16-13, 12:55 PM
H
im trying to post pictures, but they are too big.

i will try to explain it more in depth. it appears there is a piercing saddle valve (that is what i turn on the water with....and it flows to a connection which can go 1 of 2 ways. one way leads to another peircing saddle valve (but this just is hanging in the air and doesnt go to anything). If i close this saddle valve the leak goes to the connection, and if i open it, water flows out of it into the crawl space. The other option at the connector is to go straight through it all teh way to the swamp cooler, which it does, but is still leaking at the connector.

Hope that helps explain a better picture. im not too handy

Old 05-16-13, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator
I get the picture. Possibly the 2nd valve went to another cooler, humidifier, or ice maker. Either way...it's a non-issue. When you open it, it relieves pressure on the line and the leak stops. Hate to tell you this...but the main copper pipe needs to be cut and a proper valve installed with a 1/4" (3/8"?) port that will feed your chiller. At the same time, the 2nd valve that is not needed can be removed and the line spliced.

If you aren't comfortable with plumbing (may involve soldering at the main line) any plumber or good handyman could fix it in 1/2 hour.

Saddle valves are still sold...but I think they may be against code and I know they will often void the warranty on things like refrigerator icemakers. They just don't flow enough water...though the flow is normally adequate for something like a swamp cooler.

Old 05-16-13, 01:23 PM
H
could i leave it as is for now and just catch the leak? its just a drip drip kinda deal. nothing too heavy.

i believe its still flowing to my swamp cooler

thanks for alll your help!

Old 05-16-13, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
Yes, you can....but that leak will only get worse as the penetration in the pipe corrodes and erodes. It could lead to a major leak.

One thing...have you identified where the actual leak is? If it's around the shaft of the valve handle..you might be able to slightly tighten the nut around the shaft to stop it.