Goodman or Rheem/Ruud

Old 05-16-13, 12:45 PM
Goodman or Rheem/Ruud

I'm trying to decide on a new 2 stage AC unit and I've been leaning towards Rheem/Ruud since that is what my furnace is (1st gen modulating non-communicating unit) and I've been happy with it. Also the Rheem/Ruud has the external compartment for the compressor+ which seems like it would be nice when it come to servicing it. But, the new Goodman DSXC units seem to have the same copeland ultratech compressors, 2 speed fans, fault code indication, low sound dB, etc for about $1000 less. Do the Goodman units still have the reliability/poor quality problems that they use to have?
Thanks in advance for your time and info.
Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-13, 01:48 PM
Goodman doesn't have the problems they used to have, but I like the idea of a matched system. having said that, I would choose Goodman over rheem, just my personal choice... it really doesn't matter.

Old 05-16-13, 02:09 PM
I sold Ruud (same as Rheem) & Goodman & now days there is nothing wrong with Goodman; years ago, I also liked Amana, now mfg'ered by Goodman.

Old 05-16-13, 04:15 PM
I'm just starting to shop. How much does getting either of these installed cost?

Old 05-16-13, 06:19 PM
Varies by area and contractor, get multiple quotes

Old 07-01-13, 08:15 PM
Goodman 2 ton installed!

FYI
I ended up with a Goodman 14SSX 2ton (single stage) with a matched 3 ton coil as per Goodman recommendation. Purchased condenser at Alpine and the coil at Ecomfort (Alpine was out of stock). Both items arrived with shipping damage but it was just cosmetic. Both vendors were very responsive and credited me a fair amount for the damage. So, both are recommended by me.

I installed everything and with 50 foot line set I spent about $1,600 including wire, pvc conduit, disconnect, tape, etc. I buggered the 3/4 copper in a few places and had to cut the kinks out. :-/ Hint for others attempting an install..unroll the coil on the ground before hand and buy and use a ratcheting copper bender. Conduit benders cause the pipe to flatten a lot. I made it work by using small vicegrips to 're-round' the pipe (in areas that weren't kinked, just flattened a bit) but if i did it again, I'd buy the correct bender. I guess it also depends on the install.

I hired a HVAC contractor the was listed on the Goodman website and also had good ratings on the local Angie's List. He charged me ~$500 which included about $130 in material (10ft stick of copper, fittings, solder, R410) and about 4 hours labor. BTW - I thought his soldering stills were very poor. Ugly joints he didn't properly align the copper at the joints so they bent/gapped when he soldered them. But what are you going to do? Next time, I'll figure out a way to do it myself. He eventually sealed the system (he said) and charged it.

I have a 2100sq ft daylight basement home in Portland, OR. Good insulation everywhere except in walls on upper floors. all newer windows. I have a 70Kbtu 90+ ECM Ruud furnace. I knew that the 2 ton system was a little under sized but I wanted it to run for longer cycles on hot days and not short cycle on moderately hot days. After a week of a few ~93+deg days the unit has kept the house at 72-74 with a constant 72deg set point. It is at its limit. Probably should have gone with the 2.5 ton but I wont know until we get a few 100+ days.

Hope my info helps someone else.
Thanks to the DIY forum