Compressor not running, could it be the capacitor?

Old 05-16-13, 11:30 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Compressor not running, could it be the capacitor?

Hey y'all, great forum here. I've been reading and reading for quite sometime tonight, but I finally decided it would be best to post my own thread vs piggy back on another.

I have a huge, completely outdoor unit by American Standard. I don't know the model, but it has gas heating on one side and ac on the other. I'd suspect it is 15+ years old. A few years back, someone came and replaced the circuit board when the heat wasn't working. Last year, I replaced the condenser (compressor?) fan as my old one was apparently sized and locked up. I had a capacitor mushroom up as well, so that was replaced.

Anyway, jump forward to this year, my cold air, suddenly, stopped working last night. The fan works, the blower works (have cool, night air coming in right now), I can hear some slight buzzing when I kick on the unit from what I'm maybe guessing is the compressor (pardon if I'm using the wrong terms). The conductor is engaging. The compressor isn't getting hot, it just feels like it is doing nothing.

SO, all that said, I'm just wondering if there would be any value in going to the store to get a new capacitor. It is a cheap thing to try, other than our hvac store is a hassle to get to with work, etc. The current capacitor is not mushroomed on top, but I just thought I'd get a few opinions. I have a friend of a friend that does ac work coming over tomorrow too, but he can't get here until after 5. I'd like to get this resolved before that though, so I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Old 05-17-13, 07:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
I would expect the compressor to get hot with a bad run capacitor.

Sounds like the compressor is not getting power.

Does the contactor look like it is getting hot due to the poor transfer of energy?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: