need to replace the compressor

Old 05-17-13, 06:00 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
need to replace the compressor

I have a Carrier Infinity gas/heat pump system, the compressor has gone out 2 times now in the last 2 years, had 2 companies out they tell me carrier is replacing the ac system at a prorated discount, 1 company said if I replace the system there is a chance the TXV could be bad and that would be another 1500 to replace that, my question is what's the chance of that being bad and shouldn't carrier warranty that part also, they said they can not check to see if it is bad till I get the compressor fixed, at this price point I might be better off getting a whole new ac with a new warranty. my system was built in 2006, need advice it's beginning to get hot

Old 05-17-13, 06:25 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
wow twice! 1st this most likely goes back to the poor install of the equipment. Id make sure that company did not do the work. 2nd if another company did the last install don't use them. For your system to be eating compressors something is wrong! Have a good company come out and tell you.

Old 05-17-13, 07:03 AM
S
same company that did install replaced the 1st one every company I talk with say the compressors are faulty and that is why carrier is offering to replace the outside part of it on a prorated basis

Old 05-17-13, 07:22 AM
What make compressor is it? I personally doubt that it is the compressor, I believe there are other factors causing the COMPRESSORS to go bad. (was using Dragon voice typing; wrong words occasionally)

That TXV should have been checked when the other compressor was replaced.

There are a lot of factors that can cause compressor failure.

Last edited by HVAC RETIRED; 05-17-13 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Dragon voice typing; wrong words occasionally
Old 05-18-13, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I agree!

There is a remote possibility that the compressors are defective but it is highly unlikely.
Most compressor failures are installation related and there is a good possibility they are being improperly installed.

A suggestion would be to call the CARRIER customer service department, NOT A DEALER and try to get some answers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: