r410a low charge?

Old 05-17-13, 10:59 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
r410a low charge?

I've got a puron setup and was wondering if it's safe to say if the liquid line is luke warm and the suction line is only slightly cold (far from frosty) that my charge is low?

I fired up the AC last night for a test run. Granted the outside air was only about 78 degrees, the air coming from the vents didn't seem that cold. I didn't measure it but on my hands it just didn't feel that cold. The evaporator house wasn't that cold either but the was water draining from the case.

Time to call someone? or perfectly normal?

Old 05-17-13, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Sounds like it could indeed be low which means a leak. You need to measure the temp diff between the return and a register....17-20 degrees or so would be normal. Just feeling it isn't a good indicator.

Don't let them just add refrigerant, if it's leaking they need to find where or you'll just keep paying and paying.

Old 05-17-13, 11:14 AM
M
Would it be best to check just before and just after the evaporator?

Old 05-17-13, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Sure...if you have the access. Most people don't w/o removing panels which will mess with the reading. I know I've read of some people drilling small holes before and after, then plugging them after. Never got that precise myself, at return and a register is usually all you need..

Old 05-17-13, 11:23 AM
M
thanks. will check tonight!

Old 05-29-13, 04:07 PM
M
Ok, sorry it's been so long! I just checked the temps and I've got 70 degrees between fan and evaporator and 60 degrees out of the nearest register.

The evaporator box felt really cold though and it was sweating a lot! However the small a/c line going to the evaporator was just a little warm and the large line was just a little cold.

Sound like it needs a shot? I hate calling any a/c person because no matter what company, the guy that comes out just doesn't ever seem to know what they're talking about. I work at a shop and when you ask me about the problems your vehicle has I KNOW what I'm talking about and I can explain it as in depth as you want. But, seems like a/c guys say "looks like it's low on freon". Why is it low? What about a leak? Car A/C systems don't just go low, there's a leak!

Advice?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: