A/C unit dripping water on filter

Old 05-17-13, 06:24 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C unit dripping water on filter

Ok guys, I kept hearing water moving coming from my A/C unit and I pulled out the filter and it was really wet! It appears to drip water from the coils while the unit is running, and once it shuts off it really lets out a good amount of water! So i've included some pics of my setup hopefully will help you guys help me diagnose the issue. I took a shopvac and on one end of the piping coming from the drainpan sucked, and a buddy said on the other end he felt it sucking. Also poured a little bleach into the pan. On the piping that is exiting the unit itself I sucked on one end of it and could feel the air from the other. I figured one of these were clogged but they don't appear to be. A/C was set on 74* today when I noticed this it's been 97* outside here last 2 days... hopefully the pics help

THIS IS THE UNIT ITSELF AND THE PVC PIPE RUNNING TO THE RIGHT OF PICTURE JUST EVENTUALLY DRAINS INTO THE DRIP PAN:

BOTTOM PART OF THE SETUP WHERE DRIP PAN IS, YOU CAN SEE THE PIPE THAT DRAINS INTO THE DRIP PAN THAT COMES FROM THE UNIT ABOVE:

COILS THEMSELVES:

DRIP PAN, WHICH APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN HOLDING WATER FOR SOME TIME FROM ALL THE SLUDGE. i DON'T REMEMBER MY OLD HOUSE LOOKING LIKE THAT:

Old 05-17-13, 08:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,155 Upvotes on 3,731 Posts
I'm not really sure what's going on in the second picture or why that pan is needed there but the water held in it looks to be a source of unwanted water. Any mold issues there ?

I'm pretty sure your air handler needs a trap in the drain line. Without the trap and if there was negative pressure inside the air handler..... the condensate water would not drain. The blower would draw air thru the drain pipe and the water would just fill up the condensate pan and either overflow or get sucked into the airstream and get sprayed around.

Name:  drain.jpg
Views: 52270
Size:  34.7 KB

Old 05-18-13, 04:53 AM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
Those coils need to be cleaned, the whole unit probably needs a good once over.

Old 05-18-13, 06:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
Yep, dirty coils or low refrigerant charge and dirty coils.
As the condensation runs down the evaporator coil it hits dirt and falls straight down instead of running into the primary pan.

Dry spots on the evaporator coil, due to lack of refrigerant, will also cause the condensation to miss the primary pan.

I would still trap the uninsulated secondary drain that PJ spoke of.
Adding a 45 and a 90 near the pan would be the quickest method to trap it.

Last edited by Houston204; 05-18-13 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-19-13, 05:01 PM
J
the black line that is insulated has a "trap" is that what you mean? Does the other line still need one? After blowing out the drain lines and really cleaning my filter good I haven't noticed water on the filter I keep checking. I did notice that when it was happening it was during the hot part of day when it was 98*. I am still going to clean the coils with a foaming cleaner from Home Depot hopefully that will get me better performance too! Can anyone tell me what the insulated piping is? I can't find where it drains or goes to, but it has a cap on it that I can remove and I can see it's fairly dirty in the line but not sure where it drains

Old 05-19-13, 05:22 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Looks like your lower insulated line is your primary and other is back up.See if you can blow out plugged or slow primary and see what happens.Get rid of electrostatic air filter and put in throw away imo. Good luck.

Old 05-19-13, 05:59 PM
J
guyold, from my research of the unit, it seems it's basically impossible to find a throw away filter for my unit. It is a goldman air blower and they are a funky size filter. I tried the 20x24 but it is 1 inch too long. The size i need is a 21 x 23 filter and they don't carry those at the box stores. And I did blow down the insulated line and it doesn't feel restricted, but there is a "T" so im guessing my air being blow could be going thru the other side of the "T" (back towards the unit) as opposed to going down the pipe if that makes sense.

Old 05-19-13, 06:13 PM
G
Can not see your tee but thought I saw white,so pvc and can be cut then coupling.The trap is most likely where it is built up.You can bend and fold a good throw filter one inch.

Old 05-19-13, 06:25 PM
J
the black insulated line fitting isn't in the picture its to the left of the white pvc line. The insulated line is also pvc just has the black insulate around it. On the picture that shows the drip pan you can see the insulated line, because of the angle of the picture you can't see the trap but its there on the bottom part of the unit. can i pour bleach down the line or something else to clean it out?

Old 05-19-13, 06:38 PM
G
I have used something like liquid draino on hard pipe but it"s kind of hack,works on pvc if it's not alot of rust plugging it up.Give it time to do it"s thing then flush good,maybe hot water.Got to know where it"s going to. It's easy enough to cut and repair though.

Old 05-19-13, 07:01 PM
J
I can't find where it's going to, i looked all around the house on the outside and the only pipe I can see is the pipe that comes out for the non insulated pvc drain line. There is one on the outside near the outside AC unit that is near the hot water heater drain line that I don't know what it is, but i poured hydrogen peroxide down the line and nothing came out the end. I'm thinking ill need another person and I can try shop vac suction on that pipe and have someone feel for the suction on the other end. that's my only guess as to how to figure out if that's the drain line. I just got done spraying the foam cleaner on the inside coils so they should be clean now.

Old 05-19-13, 07:05 PM
G
Why couldn't you plug the open end of tee till you blew it out? Still don't know where it's placed though. All the dirty stuff from the coil ends up in condensate line and could very well replug things,just something to thing about.

Old 05-19-13, 07:21 PM
G
Good ideal to suck it out near the unit. Should never see water in back up condensate piping unless something is wrong.

Old 05-19-13, 07:34 PM
J
well when i bought the house i noticed there is rust colored staining below the secondary line (it exits outside on second floor) so it's obvious to me that water had come out of there before. I guess your right i can take off the front access panel and try to stick my hand over the drain where it leaves the unit then blow down the pipe where it "T's". I didn't think of that. Still haven't figured out, shouldn't my drain pan be pretty much dry not sitting water? and How do i clean it out it's filled with that brown nasty stuff. Can i set a pool chlorine tablet in the pan?

Old 05-19-13, 07:47 PM
G
It will dry up when you get the primary going.Don't think the tablets will do anything,maybe when dry a little light work with a putty knife.Just make sure you don't go thru pan.

Old 05-19-13, 08:31 PM
J
ok, i don't feel like banging around getting the front plate off the 'ol lady is sleeping right now, i can look at that tomorrow and try blowing thru the line while plugging the other side of the "T". I just wish I knew where that pipe led to!!!

Old 05-19-13, 08:37 PM
G
Just a guess but the pvc you mentioned out side the condenser.Have a good night.

Old 05-19-13, 08:53 PM
Group Moderator
i noticed there is rust colored staining below the secondary line (it exits outside on second floor
This is in the attic ? What's that big hole under the drip pan ?

I thought we were looking at cement.... as in a basement.
I also don't know why the need for two drain lines on the same pan.

Old 05-19-13, 09:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
Houston inspectors require us to run the secondary outlet on air handlers into the emergency drain pan.

I would add a PVC Tee and cap it to allow easy servicing in the future.

A PVC ball valve between the new Tee and the air handler would make servicing even better.

Last edited by Houston204; 05-19-13 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-20-13, 06:58 PM
J
no this unit is located on the second floor of a 2 story house. The hole under the drip pan I believe is ducting that leads to a vent downstairs so the AC can suck air from downstairs too along with from the vent upstairs. The black insulated line coming from the unit DOES have a p trap in it and DOES have a "T" connection up top. Not 100% sure where this line leads to though. The un-insulated white pipe also comes from the unit then just drops down into the drip pan, from drip pan it exits the house outside on the second level and drips down. I am guessing now that my insulated line is clogged and therefor backing up water into the secondary line and into the drain pan. Sound about right? I did notice water was just dripping alot from the coils and that's why I cleaned them too. Will work on getting the insulated line unclogged

Old 05-20-13, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
It sounds like you pretty much have it figured out.

Old 05-20-13, 07:45 PM
J
OK, i took the front cover off to get access to the inside of the unit where the insulated pipe threads into the unit. I covered that hole best I could with my finger (hard to get back there) and blew down the T with my mouth and it wasn't restricted, however I can see a brown substance, goop, crud whatever you want to call it when i look down the pipe with flashlight. I can't still haven't found where this pipe leads, unless it's plumbed in somewhere into the other line out back that's on the second floor? I am curious if it's ok to pour bleach down this insulated line that has the P trap even though Im not exactly sure where it goes? here is a better pic of what insualted line im talking about, couldn't see it in previous pics

Old 05-20-13, 08:17 PM
G
Use a wet rag to cover the hole inside the main pan.Try making ta tight connection with vac. and take or cut the cap off tee.Blow it out with vac.Or try sucking it out by leaving everything as is at outside pvc near condenser(just a hunch) I think it might take something stronger then bleach to clean with liquid.Good luck.

Old 05-20-13, 08:28 PM
J
OK, ill have to get my buddies shop vac again to try that, the AC is running alot here in TX now and I don't see any water coming from that line by the outside unit. Im assuming this is because the line is either clogged, or it's the wrong line....with all the reddish/brown gunk i see im guessing its clogged! Ohhhh the joys of owning my first home! Thanks for the help fellas

Old 09-02-13, 05:24 PM
A
Location of drain

if you havent found it already, i would check all your traps in your sinks downstairs and see if one doesnt have a T fitting with a pipe going into the side of it right before the trap. My 2 story house has the primary drain running downstairs into the 1/2 bathroom sink drain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: