7 year old Carrier Model # FV4B Not Cooling

Old 05-18-13, 04:04 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
7 year old Carrier Model # FV4B Not Cooling

I turned the AC on today and it wasn't cooling, so I checked the outside unit and the fan wasn't turning. No sound. I came back in and turned off the AC. Flipped the main breaker in the house off, turned off the breakers on the inside unit, and turned of the breakers on the outside unit. The wires all look fine. Took the hose and cleaned the leaves and grass out of the outside unit, turned on all the breakers and now the unit will only come on in fan mode. All my controls on the thermostat are gone too. It's only giving me the options of switching between cool and heat and fan auto or fan on.

Any ideas as to whats going on?

Old 05-19-13, 09:14 AM
A
It looks like I didn't give the system enough time to reset. The unit still comes on in AC mode but still not cooling and apparently when I turned off the power, the thermostat reset to a generic screen.

There is no noise at all coming from the outside unit and acts like it's not getting power. Given this, how likely is it that it's the fan motor or compressor?

Old 05-19-13, 10:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,091 Upvotes on 3,674 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Some systems..... either in the thermostat or built in to the condensor unit can have up to a five minute delay in activating the outside fan and compressor.

I doubt you would lose fan and compressor at one time. One should be running.
It's more likely you've lost the 240vac to the outside unit or the contactor has an issue.

You'll need a volt meter to make some checks. Do you have one ?
You need to check for the 240vac at the outside disconnect.
Then check for the 240vac at the contactor inside the condensor unit.

Old 05-20-13, 03:58 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
check for fuses in the outdoor disconnect on your home.

Old 05-20-13, 05:20 PM
A
I called the AC guy today. Ended up changing out one of the breakers out on the outside box and replaced the capacitor. It's working very well.

He sent some helpers that didn't know about the thermostat programming though. But after doing some research I found out it was in simple thermostat mode and after taking off the faceplate and pressing the reset button, I've got my programming back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: