3-Story AC/Heating Curiosity

Old 05-20-13, 06:25 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3-Story AC/Heating Curiosity

Last summer I had a Goodman AC unit installed for my top two floors, and have an existing system for the first floor. Because we rarely go up to our third floor, we usually have the thermostat set to off up there. Recently we had friends in town and when they tried to turn the heater on for the third floor, the heater turned on for the second floor and ran all night. The temperature on the third floor didn't change at all.

In the morning I tried to turn the AC unit on for the third floor, and the same thing happened: the AC would run nonstop on the second floor but no air came through the vents for the third floor.

Both first and second floor thermostats work for their floors, but for some reason the third floor thermostat is initiating second floor heating or cooling and, presumably because the third floor doesn't cool/heat, will continue running until I turn the third floor thermostat off.

What is going on here!?!

Old 05-20-13, 09:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,089 Upvotes on 3,672 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

What kind of system is that ?

Is it a Goodman split system with one outdoor unit and two indoor units ?

Forget the first floor.....it has nothing to do with the other two floors.

Old 05-20-13, 11:18 AM
J
Thanks for the welcome and your response!

The system is split with two outdoor units, one Goodman (for the second and third story) and the other Lennox. Inside there are two Lennox furnace units in the attic.

I did more investigating (can you tell it's my first time?) and followed the wire to the third story thermostat to the Aprilaire Zoned Comfort Control. When I took the panel off, I saw a red light in the Zone2 section beside Damper (mean anything significant?):

Name:  Control Panel Cropped.jpg
Views: 2185
Size:  50.5 KB

Update: Just turned on the third story thermostat and the light turned off.

Old 05-20-13, 11:40 AM
Group Moderator
Still a little confused here.

You have a thermostat on the second and third floor connected to the Aprilaire zone control.
You have a Goodman condensor unit installed in a Lennox furnace ?
Two Lennox furnaces in the attic.

Actually it's nice to know the actual equipment setup but it sounds in your case that the problem comes down to the Aprilaire zone control unit or a stuck damper.

An LED on the zone panel enclosure will indicate if the damper for a zone is closed.
The LEDís labeled Z1 through Z4, indicate a closed damper in Zone 1, Zone 2, Zone 3, and Zone 4 respectively

Do you know which zones are which ?
The following link should be for your unit. Has some good info listed.

aprilaire / manuals / 6504

Old 05-20-13, 12:19 PM
J
Sorry for the confusion, I suppose I didn't understand your first question. There is a goodman condenser unit and a lennox condenser unit outside of the house; in the attic there are two lennox furnaces.

Here are the different scenarios on the control panel:
Cool on 2nd Floor, Off on 3rd Floor: 3rd Floor Damper is closed; Fan (G) and Cooling (Y) lights on.
Off on 2nd Floor, Cool on 3rd Floor: 2nd Floor Damper is closed; Fan (G) light on.
Cool on 2nd Floor, Cool on 3rd Floor: All Dampers open; Fan (G) and Cooling (Y) lights on.

In each scenario, the air will come through the vents on the 2nd floor but never the 3rd. Even though the board says the 2nd floor damper is closed, if the 3rd floor is on cooling, air will still come through the 2nd floor vents but never the 3rd.

Old 05-20-13, 12:25 PM
J
By the way, here's the model I'm using: 6203
http://www.aprilaire.com/themes/aa/e..._6203_6303.pdf

Old 05-20-13, 05:16 PM
Group Moderator
I think you are going to need a voltmeter to physically check for 24 vac on the dampers.

Old 07-23-13, 03:27 PM
J
Well I've long neglected this problem and am coming back to try to figure it out!

I've got a manual analog voltmeter (yeah, I'm cheap) and am trying to figure out how to test the voltage on the dampers. Would I do this on the zone control board or somewhere on the actual damper?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: