central air cools all but 1 room

Old 05-20-13, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
central air cools all but 1 room

So I have central air that when at 70 degrees, it cools all but 1 room. In that room I do feel the cold air, but it just doesn't seem like it is as cold as it should be and isn't as strong as it should be. If I crank it down to 60, then that room does begin to get as cold as it should be in that room, but I hear that having the air below 65 will cause a freeze up or something. 70 should be enough but it just isn't cutting it for the room and it happens to be the 1 room I use the most. Can't stand this heat and humidity.

The same thing also happens in the winter time when using its heating system. At 70, all but this same room gets warm and I can feel the air coming from the vent but not as warm or as strong as it should be. If I crank it up to 80, that room does get pretty hot...

Any ideas what this problem could be?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-13, 08:52 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The duct work on the system might need to be balanced. Do you know if there are dampers on each run? Sounds like this is the furthest run from the system, also make sure the connections aren't leaking and everything is insulated. Should be an easy fix.

Old 05-20-13, 09:12 AM
Yeah I do believe it is the furthest room, but not that much further. I know a new furnace had to be put in last year because the other one was bad and not cooling any room at all. I recall when the guy put the new one in, his last thing he did was check the pressure and then suddenly heard him cuss and get mad and said something about there still being a leak somewhere. I honestly don't even think he fixed that. Possibly in the ductwork going to the 1 room? I was kind of afraid of that, because the ductwork is all in the ceiling. I take it I have to damage the ceiling and break it to get to the ductwork or are there better ways to get to it to even check something like that?

Old 05-20-13, 12:11 PM
Lets hope it's not a leak in a trunk run. And I highly doubt the guy that installed the replacement system saw anything that's hidden away under sheet rock.

The dampers that balance the system should be on the main trunk, hopefully access is where the furnace or air handler is located.

Old 05-20-13, 12:23 PM
Any ideas what those would look like, what I should be looking for?

Old 05-20-13, 12:49 PM
Usually where the trunk runs come off the main plenum, look for a small wing nut or handle right at the joint on the trunk line. It may be under the insulation.

Old 05-20-13, 01:41 PM
Duh, just googled. If you mean the things to open and close the vents, then yes there are dampers at all the vents. They are all wide opened including the one in the hot room. I am not entirely sure how the vents have been routed, but I am thinking it may go from the furnace through the bathroom and then into the hot room but not entirely sure on that. I can't seem to close the one in the bathroom because apparently the little knob to close it is kind of stuck and not moving.

I am attaching an image to show you the general layout of it, showing how the vent in the hot room is clear on the other side of the place. Whoever had that genius idea? But then again, the other large room has them on that end as well and it cools nicely. The blue marks represent where the vents are at.

By the way, not sure if it has anything to do with it.. Recently we just started having a huge water leak from the furnace, and it was going everywhere, while the air is on. It just started happening Friday, but hasn't happened before that. Still not sure where the leak is coming from yet, as the heating & cooling guy hasn't been here yet. Could that have something to do with my heating/cooling problem in the room, even though this wasn't originally happening last year or this year and I still wasn't getting good air?

Attached Images  
Old 05-20-13, 06:13 PM
The leak has nothing to do with you air flow issue.
By looking at that diagram, it seems logical that the room in question has inadequate air flow.

Old 05-20-13, 10:29 PM
What's the easiest and cheapest way to change that and make it actually work?

I mean I've lived in much bigger multi-story houses where vents were pretty far from the furnace and they've cooled nicely. Not entirely sure why this is different. But I hope there is a way to have it fixed and changed? The other large room area where the 2 vents are clear on the other side seems to get good air and cools nicely though.

I can't handle this humidity and heat with my asthma and copd stuff, so I have been having to keep the air on at 65 which does make little bit of a difference. But like said, I've been told if I have the air run lower than 70, it will cause something to freeze up in the furnace or something and it will need to be replaced?

Old 05-21-13, 04:29 AM
I think you need another register in the hot room.

Old 05-21-13, 08:08 AM
Haha, I've pretty much been saying the same thing. How easy is that to do and what kind of cost damage are we talking for something like that? I'm not really worried about cost, as it is an apartment where the contract lease holds the landlord responsible for all the maintenance and repairs. The problem is that it takes months of nonstop complaining to get them to fix anything. Just hope it would be something cheap enough and least intrusive that the landlord would be willing to do.

By the way, someone came to fix the furnace leaking problem, he agreed that it wasn't cool. So that verified that it wasn't just me or my imagination. He blew out the vents connected to the furnace and then ran a shop vac in the hot room in the vent. Now it feels like its blowing out pretty good. So maybe the vents just needed cleaned. The room definitely feels a lot cooler now, so much that I am freezing and getting goosebumps lol. Sure hope it isn't just a fluke, because it's like pulling teeth to get them out here to fix this stuff.