How to Check if there is enogh Freon

Old 05-21-13, 09:43 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to Check if there is enogh Freon

Hello,

I have two ACs and Furnaces in my house. I am just replacing one Unit (Condenser and Air Handler) that covers major half of the upstairs (I have split level). The other one covers downstairs (usually remains cold most of the time of the year even in hot summer) and a portion of upstairs.

The one I am replacing already costing me an arm and a leg :-). I just asked the guy if he could check if the other one is functional.

He said there is no Freon in the unit. That means there is a leak somewhere. To check the leak and seal it with sealant and fill the Freon may cost lots of money and it will probably better to replace the whole thing.

My questions are:

1. How do I really know if there is no Freon other than feeling if cold air is coming or not?

2. Is it really that expensive to seal the (invisible) leak and fill with Freon that it may warrent replacing it?

3. How do i know if there is leak at all? There is no way that it could be empty over the years. The Condenser kind of looks fine - does not look very old although I believe it is build in 1992.

4. To replace the unit will cost me another leg and an arm - there is no easy solution for it?

Please help me with your expert advise.

Regards,

Sharif Uddin

Old 05-21-13, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,105 Upvotes on 3,687 Posts
We can't really discuss actual freon repairs but I can offer you a few pieces of information.

If the system has no freon.... the compressor unit outside will not run.

You need special gauges to check the freon level.

You will either have to trust the HVAC company that is already there working or another one to do the repair as it's not a DIY'er repair.

Old 05-21-13, 10:17 AM
S
What does it mean - "the compressor unit outside will not run" - the fan runs obviouly but is there any way to know the compressor is not running?

Old 05-21-13, 04:07 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Again, you need to trust your HVAC person, if you don't then find one that you do trust. The compressor WILL run without refrigerant, it won't for very long though. The way to test if the compressor is running is by using a clamp-on amp meter on the common wire to the compressor. An AC system is a sealed system, if it is out of refrigerant then there is a leak or someone let it out. Your system contains/ed R22 which is going away and the price is sky rocketing so it may cost a LOT to try to repair the system..... IMO, it is not EVER worth trying to use a sealant. It will cause other problems. The proper repair is to locate the leak and physically repair the leak or replace the leaking component.

Old 05-21-13, 05:13 PM
There are a lot of ways that a homeowner can check the operating condition and performance of their air-conditioning unit.

My voice typing quit working, so will not list them here.

There are some refrigerant substitutes for the high cost R-22.

Call other contractors; as some might just want to sell you new equipment...Sorry...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: