Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

Any Thermostat/humidistats out there to turn on/off central air based on humidit

Any Thermostat/humidistats out there to turn on/off central air based on humidit

Old 05-22-13, 05:41 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

...air conditioner based on humidity levels? I have an old furnace system, dont have money to upgrade at the moment. Cooling isnt very good but it does a great job of dehumidifying my house during the summer. Id rather use this than have some box sitting in my house that I have to empty every day or so.

Is there any thermostat/humidistat I can use to have the ac turn on and off based on humidity? Something that perhaps will bring it down to what I want, but won turn on until after it goes back up a few % or so above my set point?

Ive searched and havent found anything. Probably not available but thought it wouldnt hurt to ask around.

Old 05-22-13, 07:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
The Honeywell VisionPro TH8321 will energize cooling to dehumidify.
It will overcool the space up to 3 degrees to reduce humidity.
I have one on my house and use this function when it is mild outside.

It can be disabled if you change your mind and do not want this function later.

Old 05-23-13, 04:07 AM
B
Thanks for the reply. But that really wouldnt work for me. The cooling portion of my central air is awful. It will sometimes take an hour or more to go down one degree. Sounds like if a thermostat has a dehumidify function, it still goes on and off based on temperature.

Old 05-23-13, 03:33 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Do you want that ac to only run based on humidity? That can be accomplished, but I don't think you will like the results. If the cooling portion of your ac is awful you might want to get that fixed instead of trying to work around it.

Old 05-24-13, 07:42 AM
B
Why wouldnt I like the results? I dont have the money for a new system right now. The current system is very old.
From what ive seen on thermostats so far that have a dehumidifier function, they still turn on and off based on temperature. What I want is for it to turn on when humidity goes a few percent above a set point, and turn off when it reaches desired levels. So far, after searching, I dont think something like this exists. Which wouldnt shock me I suppose, as I dont expect a lot of people would do this.
I actually just received a portable dehumidifier and im ready to send it back. Thing is too loud for my small house even on Low speed. Makes me want even more to just use my central air for dehumidifying. I plan on using a windows ac unit more for cooling when the hottest of the summer days come

Old 05-26-13, 06:24 AM
Something like the honeywell H8908DSPST could be used. You would have to change some wiring, but it could be done to do what you want to do. I think the ac would run a lot is the reason why you would not like the results. People in Florida do exactly what you are trying to do.

Old 05-27-13, 02:16 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Couldn't you just get a thermidistat, set the humidity level, then raise the upper limit for the ac?

My carrier has a humidity set point but I beleive it is specific to the system. I could be wrong though

Old 05-27-13, 03:49 PM
No, that was already suggested and the OP does not want it to have any control at all based on the indoor temp which doing it as you propose, spta97, would still be based upon indoor temp.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: