Need help with Carrier A/C water preheater

Old 05-23-13, 08:04 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help with Carrier A/C water preheater

Please help

My water heater is hooked up to water preheater which runs through my a/c and heats the water and sends it back to water heater. Helps save money on water heating costs when it works. The preheater hasn't worked in a little while, maybe will have it repaired in the future. I need to install a new water heater and wanted to take the preheater lines off indefinately and just install the water heater as normal without the preheater. If I cut the lines leading from the water heater to the preheater will I damage my A/C in any way.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Old 05-23-13, 09:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,085 Upvotes on 3,668 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The preheater hasn't worked in a little while, maybe will have it repaired in the future.
Isn't it just a coil of copper pipe, maybe with fins ? What could go wrong with it ?

If it was just a coil run thru your duct work I'd say go ahead and disconnect it.

Old 05-24-13, 08:34 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No, what concerns me is that two lines that run from the preheater to the condensing unit then into some sort of manifold which has a line into the a/c compressor. I was concerned about damaging the compressor. I don't think it will but not 100% sure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: