Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

AC condenser unit compressor is not working after Hurricane Sandy-Please help!!!

AC condenser unit compressor is not working after Hurricane Sandy-Please help!!!

Old 05-28-13, 10:26 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, need some urgent help. Trying to help a family with 2 little kids out before the heat wave hits .Their home was flooded with 8 feet of water. Their AC condenser unit was fully submerged in salt water for some time. The motor was jammed so I replaced that and the capacitor and new contactor. Cleaned and replaced connectors on all terminals including compressor. I did the same for myself since my unit was also submerged in salt water and my unit started so I thought I could do the same for them . In their case the fan turns on, I hear the contactor make a clicking noise so that works. The compressor however turns on, starts to work for maybe 15 sec, starts to make a rattling noise and then shuts off. It keeps doing that every 2-5 minutes. I'm trying help the family out as they are not able to afford replacement of both AC units by doing it myself but my knowledge doesn't go beyond that. I don't know if the compressor is jammed or its low on refrigerant, maybe there is some sort of a safety if it's low on refrigerant. Please help asap. Would really appreciate an advice. I haven't even looked at their other unit , have been focused on just one for now, that one might have issues of it's own.

Thanks in advance!!
Ed

Old 05-31-13, 05:47 AM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
You need to call a AC tech to check the Freon level...

Old 05-31-13, 07:01 AM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
issue solved, I didnt realize that one of the load lines was not working. when the electrical panel was replaced they did the wiring incorrectly. so there was only 110V coming from one of the lines. i connected another line to check and Boom the compressor kicked in. SO lesson is always make sure you got power to both lines. Also the sign that there is not enough juice is that the fan is spinning at about 1/2 the speed. hope this helps someone else.

Thanks
Ed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: