Spacepak compressor recycles....think I need a TXV expansion valve

Old 06-13-13, 06:43 AM
Spacepak compressor recycles....think I need a TXV expansion valve

I have a Spacepak system and have never been able to really cool the house...I've had the thermostat at 77 for last 2 years...this year I'm at 78...and the outdoor compressor wants to recycle every 3-5 minutes. Called a distributor for some trouble shooting ideas.....he recommended replacing the (TXV) expansion valve. So, I ordered it...waiting for it to come in, however, I checked out the diagram and checked out the part in the air-blower. Do I need to have the refrigerant removed to replace this valve? Is there any special solder needed?
Model number of handler is ESP-F.
Appreciate your insight.
Jo

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-13, 06:51 AM
Group Moderator
Jo...... trying to follow you.

I've had the thermostat at 77 for last 2 years...this year I'm at 78
Does that mean that's where it's set or is that as low as the temperature goes ?

the outdoor compressor wants to recycle every 3-5 minutes.
Does that mean it runs for 3-5 minutes and then shuts off ?

Although this is not my department, I'm fairly certain you will need the system evacuated by an HVAC pro to replace/install the TXV valve.

Old 06-13-13, 07:18 AM
Yes, 77 degrees is set by me, and yes, compresser runs for 3-5 minutes, then shuts off for about a minute, then turns back on.
Thank you

Old 06-13-13, 11:31 AM
The thermal expansion valve (TXV) is part of the sealed refrigerant system and is not DIY repairable. The refrigerant needs to be removed first, the valve changed (silver-soldered). While silver soldering the new valve nitrogen must be flowed through the piping to minimize any internal oxidation. A new filter dryer should be installed along with the new TXV. After pressurizing with nitrogen and testing for leaks the system is then pumped into a vacuum to remove any moisture. Only after all of this is the refrigerant replaced. A license issued by the USEPA is required to work on any part of the refrigerant system.

Old 06-13-13, 03:29 PM
Your issue does not sound to me at all like a txv issue. You need to determine if the contactor is open while the compressor is not running but the thermostat is calling for cooling. If it is open you need to verify 24V to the contactor from the indoor unit and determine if their are any safeties in series with the contactor which are open causing the the contactor to be open. Much more diagnosing is needed before even considering a TXV and a TXV should not only be replaced by a licensed professional but also only diagnosed by a professional onsite.

Old 06-13-13, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
In order to diagnose this you need to be sure exactly which control is shutting it off.
If your system has a low pressure control then a defective expansion valve could not be allowing enough flow causing the low pressure control to open.
It could also however be low refrigerant, a high pressure control or a defective compressor cycling on an internal overload.

We encourage DIY here but unfortunately you will need to call a competent, qualified technician to fix this for you.