how much for A/C refrigirant line and recharge repair in Central NJ

Old 06-17-13, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how much for A/C refrigirant line and recharge repair in Central NJ

Hi,

So upset at myself for causing this accident.

Anyway, was drilling a hole next to the AC lines and cut a hole on this copper pipe that(thinner of the 2) that goes to the York(central air) compressor. Of course, freon leaked out and is probably empty now.

How much do you think it will cost me to get this repaired. The hole is a visible 1/4 to 1/3 of the 3/8"(approx) copper line.

Should I even venture to patch the pipe and recharge it myself? I'm in Central, NJ.

model H3RA060506G

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-13, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
To answer your last question first...no...you can't DIY it. It takes special tools and certifications.

A Pro should be able to patch or cut and replace the section of line. Most will probably want to replace the whole line due to the likelihood of shavings and contamination.

If the system was not running, they might just replace a long section.

You'll just need to call around and try to get some quotes from different companies.

Old 06-17-13, 02:23 PM
Hi Gunguy45. Actually, got to talk to a guy..He says unit might need up to 12 lbs and $50 per lb. H e hasn't looked at it yet, but most likely he will need to replace the whole line he says since the holes sounds bigger than a pinhole, which it is. So, I guess with labor, I'm probably looking at least $600 he was saying just for recharging, He also mentioned evacuating it for about 1.5 hrs.

Sounds about right? Will post as soon as he looks at it when he comes over.

Old 06-17-13, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator
Things are different in different areas....but you are looking at more than $600. Assuming $50 per pound and 12# is really required, that's $600 right here. Total new line set or replacement of just the damaged line another hundred or so for parts. Labor...guessing 3-4 hours? $80-100 per hour if you get a break (It's $60 per in my small town).

You'll be looking at 11-12 Benjamins at least.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.....

Old 06-17-13, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
The price per pound is about right. Probably won't need 12 pounds. The system will need to be evacuated which could take 1.5 hours.

Old 06-17-13, 03:36 PM
Doubtful you will need 12 pounds... if you locate the data plate on the outdoor unit, it will tell you how much the unit came with which is good for roughly a 25' line set. it will take more when longer. THis will give you a rough idea of how much refrigerant it will take. The line could most likely be spliced easily enough instead replacing the whole line. Get a few quotes.

Old 06-18-13, 05:17 AM
Thanks to the replies so far. Forgot to mention that a/c was not running when the line was pierced. I didn't know where the shutoff valve was in the beginning and only turned it shut almost 1/2 hour later with an allen wrench.
Tech came in and yes mentioned the amount of R22 is on a plate on the side of it, and thank goodness it's only 6lbs. He plans to splice the line, evacuate and refill. Will let you know how it goes.