Hard Start Kit for Intermittent Compressor

Old 06-18-13, 03:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hard Start Kit for Intermittent Compressor

Hello folks,

I have a Trane XB10 outside condensing unit (4 Ton). During these days on summer hot days, the compressor intermittently stops running for some reason that I still can't figure out. However, I know that it stops working only when it is very hot outside as it only stops working during the day and works perfectly at night.

I live in an apartment in a building that has 8 apartments (including mine) and 2 units in each apartment so a total of 16 units are installed in this building. So you can imagine how much power this whole building is consuming when the temperature hits high (talking about 100+ degree).

Now, here are my questions:

1. Do I need a hard start capacitor to kick-start my compressor?

2. What are the pre-checks before I decide to go for a hard start kit? Should I check my running cap to see if it faulty or not giving enough power? Do I need to check my contactor? Do I need to check the voltage coming from the breaker? (Keep in mind that the unit works perfectly fine at night).

3. If I decide to go for a hard start kit, what are the best available kits out in the market and which should I avoid?

Thnx

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-13, 05:33 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You should check all things mentioned first. It sounds more like the compressor overload or thermal protection is kicking it out. Being it starts, I wouldn't put a hard start kit on, your issue is a shutdown so you need to focus on why its doing that.

Old 06-18-13, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator
Is it possible it's being cut off by your power company? As a way to reduce load during heavy usage times? Is it just your unit?

Old 06-19-13, 03:51 AM
If it is heating up and reaching the threshold value at which the thermal protection kicks, does this mean that it is low on refrigerant? I will connect my pressure gauge today and see if it requires more refrigerant.

I hope the issue comes down to only refrigerant.

Old 06-19-13, 03:57 AM
I don't think the power company has anything to do with it. I have another 5 ton unit for the other side of the apartment and it is constantly working with no issues all day all night.

Old 06-22-13, 11:20 AM
ok, now I have cleaned up the Condensor unit and the problem is still there. Now I suspect that the freon pressure may be high or low. But I don't know how to adjust this.

Do I adjust the low pressure according to the outside temp. or freon temp. itself? What about the high pressure? Is it related to outside temp. or liquid temp?

Old 06-27-13, 12:32 PM
I think the problem is with the capacitor. I hooked up the multimeter to the capacitor (black to the common and red to the hrem) and when the compressor tries to start i see the voltage go from 0 to225 then immediately drops to 0. Do i need a hard start cap now?

Old 06-27-13, 03:11 PM

ok, now I have cleaned up the Condensor unit and the problem is still there. Now I suspect that the freon pressure may be high or low. But I don't know how to adjust this.

Do I adjust the low pressure according to the outside temp. or freon temp. itself? What about the high pressure? Is it related to outside temp. or liquid temp?
Please read the forum rules.....http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ai...ng-your-c.html

We will not give Refrigerant info in this forum and in order to check/adjust charge on a refrigerant system you must be EPA certified. So YOU can NOT check the charge yourself.

In order to diagnose this you need to check the Control and supply voltages when it happens. Does the unit restart on it's own or do you have to do something to it for that to happen? As far as how you are checking your capacitor it is the wrong way to do so.

Old 06-27-13, 07:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 327 Votes on 306 Posts
As the OP is from Saudia Arabia....... I don't think he's under EPA jurisdiction.

Old 06-28-13, 02:29 AM
First, I'm not in the US and in my country I'm not bind to such rules.

Second, if you think that I'm checking the cap in the wrong way, the next logical sentence of yours should be guiding me how to do it the right way.

Old 06-28-13, 03:31 AM
Maybe you didn't read the rules... it does not matter where you are from we will not give out any advice on closed system repairs because anyone anywhere can read this thread.

In order to check a capacitor you need to remove it from the system and check it with a meter capable of check capacitance.

Old 06-28-13, 03:35 AM
The process you described of it going from 0 to 225 right back to 0 sounds like either you are checking a hard start capacitor which is supplied by a potential relay or that the contactor is closing and then opening right back up. You should be able to hear and see that happen if the contactor is doing so.

Old 06-28-13, 03:51 AM
That happens while the contactor is closed that is because the Fan motor is running when i was reading the voltage.

Note: the cap is 3 way so the comp and fan are connected to the same cap (comp to herm and fan to fan).

The cap is a start cap because the run and common cables go directly to the line1 and 2 and start cable goes to herm on the cap.

Old 06-28-13, 03:54 AM
No. That is a run capacitor it stays in the circuit while running. A start capacitor is removed from the circuit once started. A run capacitor is used to start and to run by shifting one of the windings to a different phase.

Old 06-28-13, 03:56 AM
Replace the capacitor as they are cheaper than purchasing a meter capable of checking capacitance. From their it may be that you need a hard start or that your compressor is dying.