$14,900 A/C, Furnace and Hot Water Heater Replacement??

Old 06-19-13, 07:26 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
$14,900 A/C, Furnace and Hot Water Heater Replacement??

I would like to get some thoughts on a quote I received from a local HVAC company in Denver, CO. I had the technician come out for a rountine A/C inspection and tune up. After spending quite a bit of time inspecting my entire HVAC system he informed me that it would be wise to replace my A/C, furnace and hot water heater. He showed me the frozen line to the compressor on the A/C unit and the water that leaks. Basically he said all 3 (a/c, furnace and water heater) are all 14 years old at essentially at the end of their life. He said I'd be lucky if the A/C compressor didn't fail in the next month or so after registering a 79 on the mega meter.

The question I have is do you believe $14,900 is fair quote for a new 50 gallon high efficiency water heater, HE 115,000 BTU Amana Furnace, HE 16 seer Amana A/C and coil, whole home humidifier, Honeywell True Clean filter, whole home heating/cooling and humidity central themostat controller? In addition he said he'd widen the air intake which is currently restricting some air flow and move a vent to create more back flow pressure.

It seems awful pricey to me but I'd like any insight anyone can provide. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-13, 07:41 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Get at least 3 quotes from competing contractors. This is not a price forum but a DIY forum. You should always get at least 3 quotes to compare, price, size, reputation, service after install, and warranty. Prices vary by location and contractor, but getting a 15k quote from a "clean and service checkup" is a red flag if your system was working fine when he arrived.

Old 06-19-13, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The price may not be far out of line if the equipment is all top of the line....but to pre-emptively replace everything is ridiculous.

14 yrs old? Sure...the WH may be getting close...but does it still work or just need a minor repair? Why chuck it and pay $1000 or more when a repair for $150 would make it last 3 more years? And why is an HVAC tech trying to sell a WH?

My HVAC system and gas WH in VA were 16 yrs old when I moved. Still working fine when I left.

You realize they get paid to try and upsell on every visit don't you? And how odd that many people report problems on a system that was working fine, just a few weeks after a "tech" warned them it may fail any time.

They sound quite shady to me. Have you used them in the past? Did anyone else give you similar warnings?

Old 06-20-13, 12:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,051 Votes on 975 Posts
fail in the next month or so after registering a 79 on the mega meter.
Mega meter huh....... that's a new one on me.

Old 06-20-13, 03:55 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Mega meter is actually a megohm meter.

Old 06-20-13, 05:46 AM
T
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Definitely get a 2nd and 3rd opinion. And honestly, I wouldn't ask for a quote on a new system, ask another company to give you a check up. See what comes from that, and don't tell them that another company suggested replacement.

Old 06-20-13, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would like to get some thoughts on a quote I received from a local HVAC company in Denver, CO. I had the technician come out for a routine A/C inspection and tune up. After spending quite a bit of time inspecting my entire HVAC system he informed me that it would be wise to replace my A/C, furnace and hot water heater. He showed me the frozen line to the compressor on the A/C unit and the water that leaks.

Basically he said all 3 (a/c, furnace and water heater) are all 14 years old at essentially at the end of their life. He said I'd be lucky if the A/C compressor didn't fail in the next month or so after registering a 79 on the megohm meter.

The question I have is do you believe $14,900 is fair quote for a new 50 gallon high efficiency water heater, HE 115,000 BTU Amana Furnace, HE 16 seer Amana A/C and coil, whole home humidifier, Honeywell True Clean filter, whole home heating/cooling and humidity central thermostat controller?

In addition he said he'd widen the air intake which is currently restricting some air flow and move a vent to create more back flow pressure.

It seems awful pricey to me but I'd like any insight anyone can provide. Thanks.
what square footage is your home & about how old is it?

The 115,000-Btuh furnace may be oversized for most homes in your Denver climate; -3F winter design.

What tonnage A/C did he say you needed?
91F & 59F wet bulb-summer design; extremely low humidity.

Everything appears excessive!

Old 06-22-13, 06:49 PM
Received 41 Votes on 35 Posts
A 14 year old furnace + a/c should have a few years left; if they're working and there are no immediate safety concerns, replacement isn't required.

Also, the price is completely ridiculous unless it includes a completely new duct system.

It would be wise to change the water heater soon though, since they can do a lot of damage when they fail.

I echo hvac-retired comments re: sizing - 115k is probably at least two sizes too large unless you have a very big house.

Old 06-22-13, 06:52 PM
Received 41 Votes on 35 Posts
You may not need...

The question I have is do you believe $14,900 is fair quote for a new 50 gallon high efficiency water heater, HE 115,000 BTU Amana Furnace, HE 16 seer (difference between 14 with vs blower and 16 is minimal) Amana A/C and coil, whole home humidifier (do you have a humidifier now?), Honeywell True Clean filter (all you need is a basic media filter at most, whole home heating/cooling and humidity central themostat controller?