Why doesn't my central air conditioner filter get dirty?

Old 06-20-13, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Why doesn't my central air conditioner filter get dirty?

My 1890 sq foot home has central air that is now costing me a fortune to operate. I have had several technicians check it and they all have different opinions as to what the problem is. The unit was fairly efficient when we first moved in the house for the first year or so. I know that my air conditioning filter is installed correctly but it never gets dirty. My home has to be dusted every day, as we have pets but I have never had such a dust problem in my home before. Our home is 5 years old. What can I do? I am tired of paying out money for one useless suggestion after another. We had our duct work cleaned already and that company told us it really wasn't very dusty at all.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-13, 12:24 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Where's the return located, floor level or ceiling? How often are you changing or checking the filter?

Old 06-20-13, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If there is a lot of dust in the home and you have pets with shedding hair, then it would appear that is drawing air from another source, and thereby somehow bypassing the filter.

If your air handler sets on top of return air chamber box and the walls are not sealed that come down to the box, there could be return-air entering the blower chamber from that source while in some way bypassing the filter.

Evidently it is not drawing air through the filter; therefore, the service tech must determine where and how it is drawing air that bypasses the filter.