new a/c condenser fan motor drops out after 20 mins of use???

Old 06-22-13, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new a/c condenser fan motor drops out after 20 mins of use???

Hi, I have a model fs3bd-036k unit that has been giving me a lot of trouble lately. I have had 4 people come out and still cant fix it. Here's my problem I had a technician come out because my condenser fan motor didn't turn on when requested and he replaced motor with a generic one and now that one turns on when commanded to but then turns off after aprox. 20 mins. then had a different tech come out and cleaned the outside condenser unit and still doing same thing. We then had another guy come out and he said it could be the control board on the outside unit which I replaced and still didn't fix it. I found that when the fan drops out the contactor is still engaged and compressor still runs but the fan run capacitor has little voltage in it. can someone please help with any ideas?? Greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-13, 03:23 PM
oh and the unit says the outdoor fan motor should be 1.5a and 0.25hp but the new one is 2.2a and is 0.25hp if that makes a difference or not???

Old 06-23-13, 12:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 316 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The fact that the new motor draws more running current isn't necessarily a problem but did they change the fan capacitor. That's important. An incorrect or defective fan cap can make the motor run hot which could cause it to shut down on thermal overload.

Old 06-23-13, 05:56 AM
I agree with Pete, check or simply replace the inexpensive capacitor. NOTE: The new motor may take a different capacitor than the original. The data plate on the motor will have a listing for the correct size capacitor needed by that motor.

Old 06-23-13, 11:15 AM
yes the capacitor was changed along with the motor and is the correct specifications for it. I was wondering if I could of possibly have a new defective motor?

Old 06-23-13, 11:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 316 Posts
Yes....you could have a defective motor. Not common but possible.

Old 06-24-13, 01:23 PM
Received 24 Votes on 19 Posts
Make sure the new motor has the same RPM rating as the old one.

The greater the fan speed, the more horsepower is needed to move a given blade. Motors used in condenser units run at a relatively fixed speed even when overloaded. If the horsepower rating is too low or the speed too high, the motor overheats after a while and shuts down prevent burnout.

The solution is to put in the correct speed motor.

Old 07-05-13, 08:20 PM
Thank you guys for all your help, so I bought the OEM replacement motor meant for this system and has worked beautiful since installation. The problem was the universal motor that the other guys first put in. I appreciate the help and thank you again.