Goodman Central Air unit CLK36-1F ... quit running. Need help please

Old 06-24-13, 03:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 4 Posts
Goodman Central Air unit CLK36-1F ... quit running. Need help please

I have a Goodman Central Air unit model # CLK36-1F. Its a 3 ton unit for the house.

The thermostat & inside unit/fan etc works.

The outside unit quit running. I turned the thermostat & the outside breaker off & pulled the cover off. There is a black "contactor relay" # 1050839 24V & a round silver tube or cylinder looking thing in there with some wires going to it.

I checked the connections & all seem to be good. The points in the relay seem to be dirty so I used a small file & tried to clean them up a bit to make sure I had good connection. I took the screws out so I could move the relay around (without removing the wires) & I really couldnt see any problems.

The only thing I know to tell you is, the compressor or nothing is coming on. Its like there is no electricity at all getting to it. But in all reality, I strongly suspect electricity is getting to it but stops along the way due to a pad part somewhere.

Any help on what to check or try?

FWIW, I know only very basic electrical knowledge. I do have a multi-meter thing but I aint sure how to read it except for the 12V side.

Ask any questions.

Thanks again for any help ...

TC

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-13, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does the contactor pull in when there is a call for cooling? Do you have a volt meter and know how to use it?

Old 06-24-13, 05:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 4 Posts
havactech, it does not. It didnt do anything..

Sorry, I am just getting back but my AC guy finally called me back & he trouble shooted it on the phone. Then I went out to his house & picked up the part.

It was the silver little round cylinder coke can looking little thing with the four wires going to it. He narrowed it down to this because the top of it was pooched up like there was an explosion of some sort in side.

i got it, put it on & the day was saved.

I appreciate everyone who was watching this thread to help. Sorry I left yall hanging for a couple of hours without a reply.
Again thanks guys

TC

Old 06-24-13, 09:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
That would be called a capacitor.

Good job