Compressor not turning on?

Old 06-25-13, 12:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Compressor not turning on?

So, the other day I noticed that the fan on my outside A/C unit wasn't running. This happened a few years back as well, bad capacitor. So, I spun the fan manually and it started up, cool air in the house again. Ordered a new capacitor should get here in a couple days, just been manually starting it in the evenings when I'm home . . . So that brings us to today. Started the fan up, no cold air and it doesn't sound like the compressor is running. So, with my limited knowledge of this stuff, I'm thinking that both sides of the capacitor have failed (it's a dual run capacitor) and that's why the compressor isn't turning on?? I'm I correct in this line of thinking, and if so, is there anyway to jump start the compressor until my new capacitor arrives? I'm in Phoenix and sweating my "you know what" off, lol. Any insight would be much appreciated!

Jason

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-13, 05:20 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You can't jump start the compressor. Change the cap and keeps your fingers crossed.

Old 06-25-13, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The compressor has a thermal limit that may have opened if the unit was run without the fan running. You can try running water over the compressor for 30 min - 1 hour to try to cool down the compressor and close the limit.