AC Outside Unit Fan not coming on.

Old 06-25-13, 04:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC Outside Unit Fan not coming on.

Let me start off by saying I live just outside of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The temperature has been in the low to mid 90's the last couple of days and we have been out of the house visiting family. We had a slight issue with the unit when we first moved in (over a year ago). We had an hvac guy out when we bought the house that said that it will freeze sometimes and to just turn it off and let it thaw and turn it back on. We had like two days of issues with that and never had a problem again. That was about a year ago.

When we returned from visiting family (we leave the unit at 78 when we are not home) the unit was not cooling properly. It would not cool to below 76 degrees and eventually stopped cooling all together. My first thought was to change out the filter. I replaced it and then went into the attic and outside to check and see if there was any part of the unit that had frozen up. I also took some time and carefully sprayed out the outside unit to clear it of debris. There was condensation that looks like it may have both in the attic and outside but it wasn't currently. I noticed immediately that the outside fan was not running and booked it inside to turn the unit off. After reading the forum board I used what was called the "Stick" test to see if I could get the fan to run and viola it started up on the 4th try. (I must not have been pushing it hard enough). I believe this is evidence that I have a bad CAP. I removed the housing and located two different sized caps. One is fairly large and the other is about half the size of the first one. The large one has alot of rust on it but the small one looks like it was fine. They were actually both still in the white cardboard boxes as my unit did not have any mounting brackets to secure them. My question is should I replace the caps and if so which one or both? Also where could I purchase them. The local ac supply guy says he will only deal with a HVAC certified guy but I am in no position to pay for a service call much less a mark up on a cheap part. Thank you very much for your responses in advance.

In case it matters. I will post the tag that has the model number and other information on it. I took it with my cell phone but it should still be readable.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-13, 05:13 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The small cap should be the fan cap. You can get them online. I'm surprised your local HVAC supplier wouldn't sell you one. You don't need a license to buy a capacitor.

Old 06-25-13, 08:11 AM
Ok. I replaced the capacitor ( I actually did both because the larger one looked kinda rough too and was cheap $13 total). I turned the A/C on and the contactor is not coming down to start the fan now. Is there something specific I should be checking? Thanks.

Old 06-25-13, 08:32 AM
Check the breakers, you may have blown one while the fan wasn't spinning.

Old 06-25-13, 09:55 AM
I checked my breakers. They are fine. I went ahead and replaced the contactor. (Another $14 but not a real issue) I may have just been impatient before. My wife turned on the AC while I was waiting outside and it took maybe two minutes or so before the fan actually kicked on. Im going to keep an eye on it just in case but I'm hoping that was the end of it.

Would the delay maybe be an unforeseen issue later down the road?

Old 06-25-13, 10:45 AM
The delay could be from the t-stat itself. Perfectly normal in that respect, the delay is there to avoid a short cycle.

Old 06-25-13, 10:52 AM
So the inside blower fan is working. The outside fan is working. It is blowing cold air just not really doing what we need it to. I may have to invest in a window unit for summer use only. I don't mind it being a bit warmer but my wife is pregnant and I have a 2 year old telling me that shes hot.

Old 06-25-13, 04:00 PM
Ok. New update for my AC unit. It has been on and running for a few hours now. It feels like it is slightly cooler than 77 degrees but it is not cooling the house down. The fan is on outside. The blower is on inside. The air it is blowing is not exactly cold though. I have replaced both of the capacitors and contactor on the compressor outside and now the fan kicks on and off when it needs to. The new contactor had the plunger covered but I wired it up the exact same was it was on the older one. The fan has been running and it is not freezing up outside or in the attic. Any ideas on what I can do at this point? Is their maybe a problem with the unit and the thermostat?

Thanks for your guys help. Its slowly getting fixed but at least I am working on it.

Old 06-25-13, 07:58 PM
The refrigerant charge needs checked by an EPA certified technician.