outside A/C wire partially cut

Old 06-26-13, 06:53 AM
outside A/C wire partially cut

I was cleaning the brush outside the a/c unit at my moms condo. I saw what I thought was a Flower stem going into the unit. I started to cut it but stopped. I cut through the jacket a little and then there are two little wires in it. one was slightly cut. I put electrical tape around it (the jacket). Question is what is that wire do? Is it dangerous to leave it the way it is?? Or is that just a thermostat wire. My elderly mother lives in the unit and I want to make sure its safe. Most of the time she shuts the a/c off anyhow in mid cycle.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-13, 07:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My first though was, its the thermostat wire. Its common IMO that they get cut by weedeaters etc.

However, I am no air conditioner man so wait for confirmation from someone more experienced.

Good Luck...

Old 06-26-13, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator
If it is very small like 18ga wires in the jacket, yes it's for the stat. Electrical tape won't last long. I'd probably use some liquid electrical tape if you have some or could borrow some. Kind of expensive for one little repair.

Old 06-26-13, 08:14 AM
I did wrap the tape it got a good cover from it. Is it dangerous? What would happen the thermostat will not go off??? its not used that much here in the east Coast. To call someone to fix it will be over 150 dollars. How does it affect the thermostat will affect how cool it gets in the house.EX it runs cooler on 70 but warmer on 75 will it affect that???

Old 06-26-13, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
It won't affect the way the system operates...it's just a simple on/off low voltage control signal. All it does is tell the outside unit to start and stop as determined by the thermostat inside. If the inner wires were damaged..the unit wouldn't start.

The only reason I said the tape won't last is because electrical tape doesn't like heat, cold, and water. It will eventually unravel and could allow moisture inside. If all you did was damage the outer jacket, but the wires inside were untouched...no reason for a tech visit.

You could use this Gardner Bender 4 fl. oz. Liquid Electrical Tape-LTB-400 at The Home Depot when the tape starts to fall off later or buy some now and take the tape off, paint it with the liquid and not worry about it.

Old 06-26-13, 12:23 PM
Yep guess I cut it worse than it looked. AC not working? Is it a big fix or can wires be spliced.???I called an AC guy but waiting to hear back or do I need an electrician?

Old 06-26-13, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Absolutely they can be spliced. Call the guy back and cancel! 2 (or 4 if there is no slack in the wires) small wire nuts and some of the liquid tape and it will be fine.

I mean...if he only charges $15 thats one thing...but a $100 service call?

Old 06-26-13, 01:12 PM
well Here in the east its very hard to get anyone as its so hot. Its my elderly mother so I want to make sure its done right. An a/c man called back but I missed him. This nice electrician called me back and will be here in the morning. Its going to cost 100 or so but I have no choice my mom is ill and needs the a/c. If it was me I would have done it myself but due to her cond she freaks over everything so best someone qualified does it.

Old 06-26-13, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator
Oh...so you aren't nearby? That's a shame. 5 min work. Sorry bout that. Might want to put some protective cover over it. Simple stuff like plastic tubing split lengthwise would work.