Central Air Conditioner Replacement Advice

Old 06-26-13, 12:34 PM
Central Air Conditioner Replacement Advice

I am debating a new central air unit (or move the current unit to a 2nd zone for upstairs and a new central air conditioner for the main floor) as I think it takes too long to cool the main floor and the unit doesn't seem to keep up on very hot days. The house is 12 years old and located in northern NJ. It is a center hall colonial with 9' ceilings and a 24' foyer with ~3,000 sq. ft. and ~1,500 sq. ft. in a finished basement. It is using the original York H2RA060S06D (5 Ton) unit with 2 White Rodgers Builder's Thermostat (White-Rodgers: Digital Thermostat, 850) on main floor and master bedroom. I am not sure if it is 1 zone or 2 zones as I need to always keep the main floor unit ON for the 2nd floor to be cooled. For example, I turn the main floor thermostat to AUTO/COOL and 80F so I am able to use the thermostat on the 2nd floor. I have debated the Nest themrostat but that is another story. A few weeks ago, we had a few days in the MID 90F and I couldn't get the house below 75F no matter how long I kept it on for. I even closed the office (1st floor) and closed the doors on the 4BRs and 2BAs on the 2nd floor. I also closed all of the vents except on the 1st floor to ensure as much cool air was being pumped into the 1st floor but it didn't help much. The air that comes out feels cold but it doesn't seem to have much pressure. It could just be me. I went out side and removed some dirt/leaves in the central air unit and even used my hose to clean all debris off the outside as it was dirty. I even replaced the air filter to a less restrictive (cheaper) filter. Last night, I noticed the home humidifier had water in the tray but the unit wasn't turned on. I completely drained it and hope that might help. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-13, 12:50 PM
If your able to use both thermostats, the system must be zoned. Therefore you have only 1 air handler and a series of dampers controlling the temperature. Is this a forced hot air heat system too? Putting another system in might be expensive if the heat and air is coming from the same source. Were you able to cool the house prior without any issues? The system might be do for some maintenance, like cleaning the evaporator coil or even checking the blower for proper operation and air flow. It's possible a damper isn't operating correctly too.

Old 06-26-13, 01:04 PM
I believe I have one handler. Both the air that is from the central air unit and air to be heated pass through the furnace. I assumed I didn't have 2 zones because I always needed the 1st floor thermostat to be turned on for use on the 2nd floor.

Yes, forced hot hair system as I have ducts in every room. I didn't think it would be too expensive if I already have the duct work in place. Wouldn't it be just another air handler to have 2 different zones?

I bought the house in December so I have no prior knowledge.

Contractors around here are shady and I already got burned on my hot water heater. I am concerned I'll get the "oh you need a replacement" from whoever walks in.