Rip Off?

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-13, 08:29 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Rip Off?

A/C suddenly stop working. By the way, located in Northern Virginia. The fix cost $575.00. Is it a rip off?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-13, 12:54 AM
Received 41 Votes on 35 Posts

Old 06-27-13, 04:08 AM
N
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Depends, if the issue was the breaker or t-stat was turned off then yes.
If they replaced the whole unit, while cleaning the house and detailed your car, then no.

Old 06-27-13, 05:45 AM
T
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If they replaced the whole unit, while cleaning the house and detailed your car, then no.
Wow, get me this guys phone number!

Old 06-27-13, 06:40 AM
N
Rip Off?

The problem is the fuses blown out. Change a transformer ($206). 2hr labor $300. Plus discount $69 (otherwise $104) diagnose fee.

Old 06-27-13, 07:22 AM
T
The transformer price seems high and so does labor at $150/hr. IMHO the diagnose fee is BS and should be covered in labor time, especially if he's charging $150/hr. That't crazy.

So yes, you are on the high side.

Old 06-27-13, 09:01 AM
N
Rip Off?

Ya, I felt it high. So at the end I couldn't bring myself to sign the yearly service contract ($150) with them.

Their reasons: send the first technician in. Couldn't find the problem for many hours. Send second technician the second day. Couldn't fix for an hour. I ask to send someone who can fix. The third technician came and fixed. And I paid for the long hours they couldn't fix.

Old 06-27-13, 10:05 AM
N
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Their reasons: send the first technician in. Couldn't find the problem for many hours. Send second technician the second day. Couldn't fix for an hour. I ask to send someone who can fix. The third technician came and fixed. And I paid for the long hours they couldn't fix.
That is a tough one from both sides of the fence.
They have to pay those guys that couldn't fix it, regardless of how skilled or not they where.
Technically, there should have absorbed some of the labor as you shouldn't have to pay for someone's inability.

Old 06-27-13, 11:43 AM
Not a tech but could have probably found your problem in less than an hour because it is obvious basic troubleshooting. Fan and compressor doesn't run:
  • Check for 240 volts at the unit.
  • Voltage present.
  • Manually depress the contactor.
  • Unit runs so it is the control circuit or contactor.
  • Check the control circuit for voltage
Okay a couple of more five minute or less steps and you have found and fixed the problem.

Clarification: This is based only on the facts presented. We do not know what the repair person actually encountered. It is in no way a comment on the price charged. Additional checks may have been done to insure that other parts of the AC were working correctly.

Last edited by ray2047; 06-27-13 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-27-13, 11:57 AM
N
Rip Off?

The more I think about it, the more I felt the logic doesn't make sense.
Why someone couldn't fix the problem deserves $150/hr high rate.

Old 06-27-13, 01:53 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
My 2 cents.
This is a DIY forum not a forum about how much someone was charged for something, or how much something costs, especially given a 1 sided story. I'm sure the technician(s) have a totally different version.

Not 1 person here was there and there's no absolute way to know what they were faced with.

Heck, I've charged extra just for having to move a lot of crap from the attic just to get to the unit.

It was your responsibility to know your upfront cost and to agree or call someone else.

Seems so many people think their time, knowledge, skills, and abilities are worth so much but, when it's time to pay someone else for theirs, it's worth peanuts. NOVA just with it's traffic issues and high CODB (cost of doing business) $150/hr is about right.

Next time just DIY

Old 06-27-13, 03:03 PM
N
Rip Off? -- Final

This is not just about money. But about some insight. This is the first time I encounter a/c broke down. So I want to get some insight to better prepare what I can expect next time. To see if I can handle it another way.
Thank you very much for those you have input here. I really, really get a better sense of it. Thank you for your free knowledge. Since I know nobody else better to ask.

Last edited by hvactechfw; 06-27-13 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary comment
Old 06-27-13, 03:04 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Thank you wirenut.... Price varies by contractor and location.... Thread closed as it is off topic and not DIY related.

Closed Thread