Is this a cheap temporary repair?

Old 06-27-13, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this a cheap temporary repair?

Our AC stopped working on our new home. The installer came out where we have a 1 year warranty. evidently we are out of freon. The cause is 2 tubes that carry freon have rubbed holes in each other from friction by vibration. The fix they want to do is remove the freon, weld the pipe, unsure about welding aluminum. If the tubes are already doing this wouldn't it be a temporary repair. I wonder if they are doing a quick fix. I dont want to pay for an entire new system

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-13, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
No...not temporary at all. I'm sure they will do something to eliminate the rubbing as well.

If you are talking about the lineset that runs from the outside unit to the coil inside...it isn't aluminum, it's a copper alloy that they will braze a patch over or cut the bad part completely out and braze in a new section. This is done all the time and is a permanent repair.

Old 06-27-13, 08:56 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Those are copper pipes. which one has rubbed holes by vibration. the large pipe should be insulated. neither pipe should have vibration anyway. Can you provide a picture..

Old 06-27-13, 03:21 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Brazing the holes closed is a standard practice repair if it is repairable in such a manner.