A/c Issue Wont shut off

Old 06-27-13, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A/c Issue Wont shut off

I have a A/c unit that it works fine no issues there but when it hits the thermostat temp it wont shut off it keeps on running. I even did a test. I put the thermo at 76 degrees and checked it later the temp was at 70 degress. I have already changed the thermostat and still same issue. Now what it also does is that when I have it on the off position by me manually turning the a/c off at the unit it self ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting . The fan turns on and it starts running. Today I opended a cover that its about 8x8 in size to look inside of it and see what was there. after doing that and putting the over back on my screw driver slip and hit the over and the fan turned on by its self. If you look at the pictures you will be able to see what I am talking about. ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

I am trying to findout what is wrong with my a/c that it wont turn off when it hits the temp. Also the heat works fine no issues there.

Please assist on this if you have anymore questions please ask.

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-13, 03:15 PM
Remove the wire from the Y terminal of the thermostat does the ac stop running? IF so, then it is a bad thermostat. If not then shut the breaker off for the FURNACE... does the outdoor unit still run? If so then the contactor needs replaced. IF not then you likely have a control wire short to power.

Old 06-27-13, 04:10 PM
Thank you for the reply. Question. Is the contactor the one outside the unit by the fan and compressor? I was not able to find it inside. Let me do the test about the wire and also the breaker and will post results. But I was just wondering about that part.

Can i buy that part at homedepot? or can you please direct me to where?

Thanks again for the help. on do to the test. lol

Old 06-27-13, 04:18 PM
ok I did the test you stated. What it happen is that the outside unit turned off and the inside unit stayed on. Also the thermostat doesnt have the y wire it only has 3 wires which is the w, and cant remember the other ones.

you mention about the control wire short to power how do i test that or how to i get that fix. please advise thanks.

like I said what happens is that when i have the this switch off ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting and this switch on ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting the fan will turn on by it self. today i decided to take a peek at this ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting when putting the cover back on i hit the cover and the fan turned on by itself. i then had to turn this ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting off for the fan to turn off.

sorry for to many questions its getting pretty hot and dont want to leave a/c on all the time.
if possible please provide with directions on what to do. I know how to do basic trouble shooting.

Picture of the thermostat wires connect to it.

Thanks

Last edited by dsvm2004; 06-27-13 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-27-13, 05:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
I only see two wires to your thermostat.....the second red wire is a jumper.

Your thermostat is set up as a basic on-off temperature switch. You have to select which mode you want by placing the switch in the desired mode at the air handler.

The main fan switch gets set to auto and I believe the other fan switch gets set to off.

Old 06-27-13, 06:04 PM
yeah acutally it is a 2 wire lol i doubled checked. I have done what u have asked and still stays on. Could it be that the relay is bad.??

Old 06-27-13, 06:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
What is staying on ? Just the blower fan or the outside unit.

I'm trying to find a wiring diagram or schematic for unit but have had no luck. I don't think hvactechfw knows these units.

Old 06-27-13, 06:32 PM
I do... but some are different. The stat is only 2 wire because of the switch in the furnace for heat, off or cool. In cooling mode as set by the switch in the furnace when the 2 wires to the stat are an open circuit then the ac will run. When it is a closed circuit the ac is off.

Old 06-27-13, 06:33 PM
what type of thermostat do you have? It should be a heat only thermostat WITHOUT an off switch.

Old 06-27-13, 07:06 PM
ok here are the pictures of before thermo ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting and this is the new one ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

regarding the test i tried earlier the outside unit turns off but the inside stays on. I checked the volts on the thermo and its at 24.0 the transformer too i think thats what its called and it reads 112 cant remember the numbers and the load it reads 27.0. i test both. one from here ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting and the other one from inside here ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

now when i turn the thermo on i hear a click on it and everything when it reaches the temp i hear a click too and the word cool turns off from the thermo.

Old 06-28-13, 03:25 AM
So with the furnace set to cool. Remove the thermostat and short the 2 wires together does the ac turn off?

Old 06-28-13, 10:08 AM
Ok I did the previous test. Removed the white cable and touched it with the red cable and the A/c turned off. Both units outside and inside. What does this mean?

Old 06-28-13, 10:18 AM
It means you have the wrong type of thermostat installed. You can use the one you have but it must remain in heating mode and never be changed to off or cool. Even though it is in heating mode it will control it properly. You change the mode at the furnace instead of at the thermostat.

Old 06-28-13, 10:31 AM
Could be wrong, but I've seen Coleman M/H furnaces with that same switching. When someone adds a heat cool stat to a two wire system they have to leave it in heat on the stat always and let the reverse relay switch in the furnace do it's job.

Old 06-28-13, 02:26 PM
OK I am extremely happy to report that My a/c is now working like its suppose to work. Its kinda confusing on the temp but its working. It shuts off and on when I put it in heat mode and turn the temp down. and once it hits it, it turns off. Thanks Saved me lots of money.

Thank you very much.