Good Investment

Old 06-27-13, 11:36 PM
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Good Investment

I installed an gable attic fan last month by myself. It has been doing a good job of keep the attic much much cooler than without it.

I bought it from HomeDepot for about $115. A very good investment because it will keep your home cooler which means less demands on your AC.

However, I bought two solar attic gable fans three years ago from Costco. I would stick with the AC power type. I would avoid buying the solar type for three reasons. One, by the time the sun goes down at 7pm, the fans stop working and the heat is still in the attic. Two, the CFM is about 50% less power. Three, it cost so much more.

I have a question for this thread. Has anyone ever installed a portable or window AC in the attic to keep it cool? I would think this might be a bad idea since it produce moisture. Who knows. Could you share?
Can You Use a Portable Air Conditioner in an Attic? | eHow

Whole House fan is something also to think about.

Last edited by WRDIY; 06-28-13 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-28-13, 03:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
The key to the ehow article was "temporary", as in "while you are working up there". I would see no need in air conditioning an attic space. Basically attics don't need to be cooled. They need air circulation to equalize the temperatures and reduce humidity. Air conditioning creates condensate.

In the opposite seasons, then, a proposal to install strip heat to heat the attic space would be in the offing, so I don't see the reasoning of conditioning that space at all.

Old 06-28-13, 07:55 AM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
You mentioned whole house fan as a possibility. In my last house I had WHF plus central A/C. I really liked the combo. This is a very dry, high altitude climate, so the temp drops past sunset are usually pretty dramatic. Therefore, I could cool the house to approximately the overnight low (low 60's) and then close it tightly all day and be cool until late afternoon, when I would operate the A/C for a few hours. I calculated that I was using about 500 KWH annually on the central air.

I see two downsides to WHF's. You have to leave windows open at night, with the obvious security problems and it will suck in whatever pollens are about, causing allergy problems for some.

Old 06-28-13, 06:12 PM
Handy, I agree with you on the security and pollens in regards to the WHF. That is why I decided not to install it but excellent solution if I were to live some where that is not in the city.

Chandler, yes, I had the same concern about the moisture. OK, that is good to know so that I don't need to invest too much up there.

Old 06-29-13, 03:51 AM
The main thing in attics is air movement...ie. cooler air pushing warmer air out, either via soffit venting and ridge venting (passive), or as in your case, power gable vent. It's about as good as it gets. Ideally you want the attic air as close to ambient (outside) air as possible, both in summer and winter. Summer, your attic could get into the 100's while the outside air is 80's. Constant exchange of outside air will bring it down to the 80's. Likewise in the winter, outside air could get below freezing. Having stale warmer air in the attic could cause ice dams and condensation that would freeze on the underside of the roof decking, causing mold and wood rot. Moving air will bring it to equality.

Old 06-29-13, 09:03 AM
You are pretty awesome Chandler!

Old 06-29-13, 11:22 AM
No, my dog is awesome. I'm just here, but thanks for the accollades. Let us know how things go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: