Billing question ?

Old 06-28-13, 09:03 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Billing question ?

Hi,

Let me start off by saying I am in the skilled trades and do not have a problem at all paying a fair price for a service that I can not do or have yet to learn. I am looking for someone with a little experience in the HVAC field to let me know if this bill sounds correct. I recently had my condenser coil (outside) replaced under warranty. I then received a bill for $600.00.

These are the items on the bill
1 - Condenser coil - warranty
2 - 3/4 couplings
2 - 3/8 couplings
1 foot of 3/4 and 3/8 line set
2 - Wire nuts
2 - Double A batteries
4lbs of 410A refrigerant
2-1/2 hrs of labor

$600.00 just seems like a lot to me for the work that was done. Like I said previously I have no problem paying a fair price for work done but that seems kind of excessive. I guess this is why I have such a hard time paying people to do work for me. I generally like to do things myself even if I make a mistake I can "learn" from it and do it properly. I want to thank everyone in advance I really appreciate any feedback.

Ian

Old 06-28-13, 09:19 AM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
Break down the pricing per line item.

Old 06-28-13, 01:50 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Prices will vary geographically. But that price seems pretty "standard" to me. People think that by buying new they get a great warranty and peace of mind. That might be true for the first year but after that its going to usually cost big time. And then after the five or so year parts warranty forgot about it. Even the newer high efficiency motors are often a small fortune to replace

Old 06-28-13, 02:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
One of the reasons I went with the company that installed my HVAC system is they included a 5 yr parts and labor warranty and 10 yr parts only. A couple of yrs after installation he went out of business and shortly there after the compressor [still under factory warranty] died..... so I had to pay parts and labor [minus compressor cost] That was a dozen or so yrs ago and my bill was a little over $500. So I would guess what they charged is reasonable.

Old 06-28-13, 02:33 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
OFF TOPIC!!!!

THIS IS A DIY FORUM... it is not a pricing forum....

Prices vary by contractor and location.... Did you get the price upfront before the work was done? Did you authorize for the work to be done? Regardless the thread is off topic of the forum and is closed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: