Condensation issue on a 40 years old fan coil unit

Old 06-28-13, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Condensation issue on a 40 years old fan coil unit

I have a fan coil unit (I think that what it is called) in my 40 years condo. There is a central boiler and a central AC compressor service all 50 units in the building. The central system heats up or chills down the water that circulates the building 24/7. The hot or cold water is routed into the fan coil unit which is basically a rectangular box with copper coils in the front and two blower fans in the back. The blower fans are controlled by a thermostat. When service is called for, the thermostat turns on the blowers and circulates the air through the copper coils (with either hot or chill water circulated inside) for heat or cooling. The fan coil unit is about 3'x2'x1' (WxHxD) in size. There is a drip pan on the bottom of the unit to catch the condensation water from the coil when it is used as an AC. As I said before, this unit is 40 years old. The drip pan clearly shows its age. The water still drain but there is a lot of rust on the surface inside the pan. Starting a few weeks ago, I found a lot of water dripping from the ceiling (this thing is hidden inside the ceiling at my foyer). From what I can see, the water seems to condense on the bottom of the drip pan. The drip pan is about 2" tall and the bottom is about 1" thick. It is constructed by two layers of sheet metal with a thin layer of insulation in the middle. Does anyone have any idea how can I add insulation to the bottom of the drip pan?

For a long term solution, I'm opened for the idea to get the whole (or part of the) unit replaced. After talking to the HOA and a few other condo owners in the building. No one seems to be able to find a HVAC contractor in the area actually understand the system. The unit is too old and there is no model number anywhere. Any idea how can I go about it?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-13, 02:38 PM
It is a fan coil and they are still available. Simply put a contractor needs to make you a new pan or the unit needs replaced...it is doubtful that it is condensation and is most likely a leak in the pan if it never sweated before.

Old 06-28-13, 04:23 PM
Hi hvactechfw,

I have seen it at a unit in a different building in the same complex using a Carrier fan coil unit with model number 42CAA06ARCY6YYYYQ. I think it is the 42CAA Horizontal furred-in fan coil unit with a 600 CFM bowler. I'm not sure if it will fit in my condo as that building was rebuilt due to fire 15 years ago. So, the system there is relatively new compare with my 40 years old model. Any idea approximately how much it would cost to get one of this unit to replace my old one? Also, what is the approximate cost for a custom made pan? I just want to have an idea before calling around as this is not a common system (although the operation is simple). Thanks!

Old 06-30-13, 07:47 PM
no big whoop!

Hire a Commercial HVAC company to pull the pan and have it duplicated by a local sheet metal fabrication company. There are lots of them around... Just make sure they braze in the outlet (no plastic ) and water test the pan with a 3/4 removable male plug temporarily in place. That's the cheapest way out. When your done, make sure the pan pitched toward the outlet.