Condensing fan motor help!

Old 06-27-13, 08:57 PM
Question Condensing fan motor help!

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum so please work with me. I got home earlier and when we went upstairs to sit down and watch tv the room was really hot.

It was our first day of 100+ temps so I thought maybe the kids had the A/C down too low and it froze the compressor (happened last year). When I checked the thermostat it was reading 87 degrees with the inside unit running. Went outside to check the fan and the fan was not running but the top of the motor was hot. I did some searching and found this website which everyone says to do a stick check of the fan unit to see if the fan is stuck or not. Fan spun up with the stick test but I noticed that the compressor did not kick in.

I am thinking it is the capacitor but not sure if my compressor also runs off of the same capacitor but not sure. I don't know how long the unit was trying to run with the fan not turning on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-13, 09:15 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 213
Welcome to the forums.

This should be a thread of it's own so as not to get it confused with the original post.

If your temps are 100 degrees there it shouldn't matter where the thermostat is set.....nothing should freeze.

The compressor may just have been off on thermal overheat. After it cools it should come back on. If the fan doesn't run the compressor overheats.

In some units.....a dual capacitor is used. Since you didn't leave us a make and model....we can't answer that question. If you are planning on doing the repair yourself..... open the unit and look for one or two caps.

Be careful......high voltage present. Disconnect power first.

Old 06-28-13, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the reply and sorry I should have created it as a separate thread. I see what you mean about the compressor having a thermal overheat. Here are the specifics:

Goodman Manufacturing
model # CLJ60-1

Old 06-28-13, 02:42 PM
Started your own thread for you!

Old 06-28-13, 04:51 PM
Thank you hvactechfw. I pulled the old dual capacitor and it was time for that thing to be replaced. It looked swollen like a soda can that had been dropped on it's side. Replaced the capacitor and had the kids turn on the unit at the thermostat and immediately the compressor and fan kicked in.

This site is a good source for info and look forward to using it more in the future.

Joel

Old 06-28-13, 08:06 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 213
Thanks Kevin and thanks Joel for letting us know how you made out.