Residential York Oudoor Unit Works Intermittently

Old 06-29-13, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Residential York Oudoor Unit Works Intermittently

A couple of weeks ago I woke up in the middle of the night and noticed it was warmer than usual. Air was coming out of the vents, but it was room temperature. I checked the unit outside and nothing was running. The fan wasn't turning and their was no hum from the compressor. The fan blades spun freely when moved by hand so I don't think the fan motor seized. Since it was the middle of the night and I couldn't do anything at that time, I went back to sleep. When I woke up the A/C was working fine.

It worked great again until yesterday when it did it again. This time I went outside and flipped the outside breaker on and off. Nothing, no noise no click or anything. I turned it off at the thermostat, and when I woke up and turned it on - it worked again.

I would call a technician but I'm afraid that they won't be able to diagnose it unless its not working - and so far it's done it only 2 times that I know about and both were in the evening.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-13, 05:18 AM
Check for a plugged drain line and a float switch near the indoor unit that is cutting out the outdoor unit to keep from having a flood.

Old 06-30-13, 07:26 PM
Ok I checked the drain line. It's a piece of PVC and does not appear to be plugged. I'm assuming that the float switch would be in the drain pan that the evaporator coil sits in? I looked around and couldn't find one

Old 07-01-13, 04:26 AM
a float switch could be in the drain line or trap and or a secondary pan. You may not have one at all.... It just sounds like that is the cause from your description.

Old 07-08-13, 10:26 AM
I will look again.

I was also wondering if it could be possible that I have a bad contactor. It would seem that something like that could fail occasionally if it was faulty, but other times work as it should.

Old 07-08-13, 02:40 PM
A faulty contactor would typically only fail completely unless there is something (like a bug) between the contacts. It does not hurt to check for that. If the contacts are worn I would put a new one on anyway.