Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Air Conditioning and Cooling Systems
Reload this Page >

Rheem 3.0 ton AC condenser 13 SEER R22 13AJA36A01 stopped running now slow fan

Rheem 3.0 ton AC condenser 13 SEER R22 13AJA36A01 stopped running now slow fan

Old 06-29-13, 12:31 PM
Unhappy Rheem 3.0 ton AC condenser 13 SEER R22 13AJA36A01 stopped running now slow fan

My Rheem 3.0 ton AC condenser 13 SEER R22 13AJA36A01 stopped running yesterday. It was super hot to touch when I got home. I can get the motor to turn now with the stick push, but it seems to be turning slow. It's not hard to push so bearings seem like they're ok.
I don't think the compressor is coming on now. I can't hear a hum from it anyway. Would the fan running slow have anything to do with the compressor not working? It is not cooling in the house when I have the fan running! I need to try and fix this myself for financial reasons so I could sure use some help!
They have this unit so close to the house, and a downstairs unit is right next to it with no extra room to move, so it's hard to get to the electrical stuff but I can squeeze in. The downstairs condenser fan runs much faster so that's why I think that the motor may be bad. It was manufactured in 2007, so the parts all visually look pretty good. I can't see anything that looks obvious that it's bad. Help! It's a 100 degrees out here in Utah!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-13, 05:14 AM
You likely need a new capacitor. Remove the power from the unit by turning off the breaker and allowing the system to cool down before trying to restart anything after replacing the capacitor.

Old 06-30-13, 10:58 AM
Thanks hvactechfw! I will try that as soon as I can get the part in the morning. I did a thorough cleaning of the unit and that dramatically increased the speed of the fan. Still had to manually get the fan turning though. I will replace the capacitor in the morning and hope that does the trick.

Old 07-01-13, 11:33 AM
It was the capacitor! So far all is going well! Switched it out and the compressor is running again and the fan starts and runs all on it's own! House is now cooling!