No A/C in Houston tonight

Old 06-29-13, 08:32 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No A/C in Houston tonight

Hello-

My A/C seems to have gone out sometime today. I noticed this afternoon that it was a little hot inside and sure enough the thermostat was at 90 even though I had it set at 77.

I did some reading on the net and found a recommendation that the unit breaker box be checked- the one near the condenser unit. I took a picture of it. I was hoping somebody here would be kind enough to tell me what it means.

Thanks much!Name:  breaker.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  32.7 KB

Old 06-29-13, 08:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
That is a non fused disconnect box. You would pull out the top handle and then flip it over so that the off is readable for servicing the unit. There isn't anything to check in there.

You need to go the main electrical panel and look for a 30A breaker with a double handle. There may be several in there depending on the electrical items in your house. You could turn off and turn back on all two pole 30A breakers. Also.....see if it's labeled AC. There may also be a two pole 15A or 20A....those will not be the ones.

Old 06-29-13, 08:48 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
They were really talking about the disconnect but residential ACs do not normally have fused disconnects. That is your disconnect and it does not appear to be fused (have a breaker). Make sure it is turned on. You need to check the breaker in your house breaker panel. Don't just look because it may not look tripped. Turn it all the way off than on.

Is the air handler in the attic running? Is the fan on the condenser outside running. Is the pan under the unit in the attic full of water? (There is safety switch that shuts the unit off if the pan fills.)

Old 06-29-13, 09:04 PM
T
Thanks SO MUCH for the quick replies. Gosh, I wish my A/C would switch off when the water pan was full. I've had it overflow so I know that I don't have that feature. The fan outside is working but I noticed that it is blowing out cooler air than usual. Normally the air is really hot.

I did go out and just look at the breakers but I will look again and flip the ones you mentioned PJmax. Nothing is labeled so I won't know for sure if I'm flipping the right one.

This morning I did unintentionally mess with the hoses by the outside fan when I was pulling out my water hose. The water hose might have rested on top of some gray hoses that attach to the unit but I had a look and could see not any damage there. In the morning I will go out again with my camera and post some pictures of that area in hopes that might give some clues to what could be wrong. I really don't want to call out the A/C guy.

Again, thanks very much for y'alls help!

Old 06-29-13, 09:17 PM
T
I did flip the 2 double 30 breakers and then switch the A/C back on. I am feeling cool air but that could be just my desperate imagination. I also felt hot air coming out of the fan outside like it usually does. I will keep my fingers crossed and check the thermostat in about 30 minutes and hopefully see a substantial drop in temperature.

Old 06-30-13, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
If the fan on the outside unit is running but that air doesn't feel hot and you don't seem to be getting cool air in the house would suggest a compressor problem. Breakers would be ok or the outside fan wouldn't be running.

You could be low on freon or the (condensor) outside fan isn't spinning fast enough to dissipate the heat and causing the compressor to shut down. That would require a pro to check out.

Old 06-30-13, 01:37 PM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
compressor problem. Could be just a burnt wire from being loose or a bad capacitor. Sometimes a hard start can help extend a weak compressor for a few years. but if its a wire or cap that's bad don't bother with the hard start... They usually help overloaded breaker problems... make sure you keep the outdoor coil clean uses generous amounts of simple green and rinse well. This will help the unit run cooler. Cooler temps extend the life of all electrical equipment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: